• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Foliar applied Merit on shrubs

IRRITECH

LawnSite Senior Member
For the last few years we have run granular Imidacloprid on our shrubs. Azaleas and Knockout roses mainly. I get great season long control but it is time consuming and expensive. Has anyone tried foliar apps. Label says " local systemic control" and tells you to reapply as needed.

That tells me nothing. Will the new growth therefore not be protected and just how long is the control.

Anyone tried this and how did it work

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use this method. Always has worked fine for me. Merit easily gets locked up in organic matter, so if I am not soil injecting Merit I use foliar starting on my May application. I reapply every 5-6 weeks until August.

OP
IRRITECH

IRRITECH

LawnSite Senior Member
So, I only get 5-6 weeks spraying it and not the season long control i get with the granular. Not exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I inject into the soil for season long control of azalea lacebug and rose beetle. Charge what the job is worth and guarantee against reinfestation for 12 months following treatment. Injecting is fast with a Meterjet gun fitted with a needle. I am in and out of the average residential landscape in less than an hour. Granules and surface drenches have failed to provide good control. Penetration and binding with surface clay or organic matter interfere with imidacloprid. When Bayer first released Merit onto the market back in the 1990's, I remember the rep telling me that properly applied, it would be active for more than one growing season. He was right. I get over 12 months of insect control from one injection of the high rate on roses. Without Merit, roses in Hawaii are trashed by aphids, scales, whitefly and a close cousin of the Japanese beetle that is out and feeding all year long. I do not get a break from this.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Yo

I have never found a good response with Foliar applied Merit. In fact I get the best residual with Granular Merit. I will spot treat certain shrubs and skip others.

OP
IRRITECH

IRRITECH

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, that's what I have been doing so I guess we'll just keep at it. Thanks

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
We use the granular and also liquid injected into the root zone with the kioritz. Depends on how many plants and how big they are, how much mulch is in the beds etc. I was always afraid to spray due to it not lasting as long, looks like I was correct. Good luck.

tlg

LawnSite Senior Member
I have always used the granular product with great results. Better systemic control because the product trans locates through the entire plant. But it's still not the best method. The foliar spray does not give the best control IMO. However, Greendoctor is right on with the soil injection method. It places more product directly where the plants can readily absorb it through the roots. It is the best method for control.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Merit 75 WSP costs over $300 a lb. But it works like no other insecticide I have ever used. But it is all in the application. That Meterjet gun can be set up to apply 15 ml or 1/2 oz shots, so I can apply multiple shots around the entire root zone of a shrub. I always add the Merit into a soluble fertilizer and micronutrient mix. One customer noticed how his azaleas always look really green and vibrant after I give them their annual injection. This effect is above and beyond what killing a lacebug infestation will do. Also note that adding a fertilizer to the solution speeds up translocation of the product greatly. With the kind of insect pressures I deal with, having a pesticide kick in quickly and last is important. There is no winter dormancy here, so timing is based on when a pest first appears at an individual site.

n-green

LawnSite Senior Member
I,ve always sprayed with a BP. Big waste, needs to be repeated and kills the friendlys. How do you guys get the correct amount of "Granular Merit" to the root zone. Daryl