1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Foliar feeding and droplet size Ride-on.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Coachbob, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

Been using my Exmark for foliar nutrition a lot lately and think i will be going liquid for a good part of my applications. Reading a few articles on how plants absorb foliar feeding got me thinking that the floodjets on the Ex/Toro are not ideal for full leaf coverage. For best foliar uptake, a fine droplet is recommended, where the FJ is coarse to ultra coarse depending on psi. I also find the floodjet to be lacking for low to ground plantain and think i might prefer better leaf coverage with finer droplet. I installed a boom on my unit and am hoping to add an auxiliary tank and plumbing in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts on nozzle selection for foliar feeding?
    0AED7A7D-AD1E-4CD4-88DF-2AA2588948DC.jpeg

hort101 likes this.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I get along fine with AI 110 nozzles calibrated to apply at 1-2 gallon per 1000 sq ft. Upgraded tank, pump system, agitation is a good idea. Those sprayers are made to do something totally different with a different kind of product

Coachbob likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Coach, I am concerned that you might be tempted to mix it stronger--more concentrated. This might result in fertilizer burn. A concentrated solution applied to the leaf is like salt--it will tend to draw moisture out of the leaf.
    Greendoc is right--you want 1 to 2 gallons of water per thousand sqft. Nitrogen and potassium--need to be applied in plenty of water. Be careful.

Coachbob likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Riggle . I use higher volumes for that reason but would line to have finer droplets.

5. AMartinContracting

AMartinContracting LawnSite Member

I've always wondered if a higher rate of carrier is needed to do foliar apps on a residential lawn mowed at 3.5 inches, vs a fairways at .5 inch.

Anyways, I keep it at 2.5 G /k the season here.

Coachbob likes this.
  6. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

AI nozzles would probably be the best for general use. Those XR nozzles are so fine its almost impossible for me to blanket with them due to drift. I spray foliar products, fungicides, iron, pgr and get fine results with the flood jets.

Coachbob likes this.