Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this look for a supplemental foliar application to flowering plants, or possibly lawns? I'll call it liquid X for now....

Composition of liquid X %
Water 95.5
Nitrogen 0.05
Phosphoric acid 0.56
Potassium 6.60
Calcium oxide 0.69
Magnesium oxide 0.59
mg/100g
Iron 0.5
Total solids 4.71
Reducing sugars 0.80
Total sugars 2.08
Ash 0.62

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I suppose one or both of those is misprinted by a percent or two higher. This was sourced from a 1958 article through wikipedia. I am searching for something current on it.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am reading you two organophiles right, as not fully supporting the idea of foliar feeding? Who'd a thunk?

how about feed the trees during the day and try mixology at night:cool2::cool2:liquid X sounds like some rave drug
It does get rave reviews. You have no doubt consumed some of this yourself this summer. It's quite tasty:drinkup:(not beer). I drink it almost daily. Are you not feeding your worms designer mixologized salads? I am simply interested in a readily available tonic/beverage that can supplement compost teas, composts, and that will benefit my lawn, garden, and houseplants, while improving the soils, reducing pests, and increasing yields. One concern I have is that the sugars may draw in pests that might not otherwise be interested in the plants sprayed.

Agreed. Temporary fix for nutrient deficiencies at best.
I hear that used to be the common thought on foliar feeding, up until the end of the first half of the last century.

-----------
How about liquid seaweed.
I am trying it out with seaweed extract. If I have the information right, it has been tested in foliar app's back in the fifties, and was shown to increase soybean yields. I think the sugars in it will benefit the soil microbiology, It is so symbiotic in the human body, it has to be good for plants. I haven't found anything on recent testing of it in the horticultural field. Still searching.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Present some peer reviewed research that states otherwise and I will retract my comment.
easy Kiril, lets just start slow and ask what it is that we are talking about and the we can get into plant physiology and nutrient "exchange" (see Kiril and Tim, I lerneded some thinks.LOL):laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
818 Posts
My understanding thus far is that if (IF) any nutrients are assimilated through the leaf that they must be in a bio-available form and therefore chemical synthetics. It is highly unlikely that organic compounds can be foliarly assimilated, however it bears checking out. There is a similar line of discussion happening on the CT forum. I'll see what I can dig up in the way of sensible research which has been done on the subject.

I remain dubious that organic compounds can even be uptaken at the root level without microbial interaction.

Why would you, 44D be startled or mystified that organic practitioners don't buy into the foliar feed scam...er maybe scam?

Tim

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I remain dubious that organic compounds can even be uptaken at the root level without microbial interaction.
I thought it was common knowledge that plants only uptake inorganic mineral nutrients. I agree the microbes need to make the nutrients plant available. I guess I am just more willing to accept things? I might not understand what you mean.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.