• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Food, Inc.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
How many of you have seen this doc/movie? Did you find it interesting and what are your thoughts on it.

I found some it to be more appealing than others.

I especially found the part with the Organic Farmer who the USDA tried to shut down because he butchered his chickens in the open air, and how his chickens tested better off for less bacteria than those bought at they grocery store. I thought that part could be a little skewed though, having a background in food, there are lot of factors such as age of the product, handling procedures including temp and general cleanliness of the facility etc etc.

I did like in particular, like his when he was out on the range and moving cattle, how he explained that was all to his farming, moving the to new pastures, the mowed the grass, in the process fertilized his for more grass.

It was also very insightful on the amount of products that now contain or can be traced to corn. I found this especially interesting when you considered the Gov't subsidies going to produce this.

The whole seed picker and Monsanto thing was interesting and thought provoking too.

Seeing the slaughter houses was a flashback. I did pipe insulation on the weekends in college for a Cargill/Excel factory. The labor part of the movie is true, from the diseases this folks appear to obtain after working there, to the fact that most are immigrant workers, who are recruited by adds placed by this companies to get them interested to come to work for them.

Anyways - your thoughts on the movies point of knowing where/ tracing your foods origin and the sustainability of it, and the growth of the Organic market place!

NattyLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I saw both Food Inc and Fresh the Movie in too close a time span and both sort of ran together. Good, informative flicks. A lot of fat people in this country for a reason eating unfulfilling food

OP
Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
I saw both Food Inc and Fresh the Movie in too close a time span and both sort of ran together. Good, informative flicks. A lot of fat people in this country for a reason eating unfulfilling food
Never heard of "Fresh the Movie" will have to check it out. I can honestly say my eyes look at Monsanto after watching this one.

Smallaxe

LawnSite Fanatic
I have been critical of the changes in farming methods and the "ideas" about sanitation, as these changes, have been occuring. The more regulation they put on slaughterhouses, the more problems they create.
Like a hospital, the the quickest place to pick up a communicable disease. Now we have e-coli problems, that never existed b4.

Common sense, has a lot to do with sanitation. Caring about a quality product, has a lot to do with sanitation.

Organic Farmers are now, "Rotating Pastures". :laugh: This is one thing that has always been done by farmers. City slickers, are the ones promoting, "Factory Farms". People are becoming so far removed from agriculture/horticulture, that everything is observed through the lens of a -sterile clinical study. Then later, a field study, that gets written up in equations and chemical symbols.

Sometimes when understanding life, empathy tells you more than, data.

OP
Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
I have been critical of the changes in farming methods and the "ideas" about sanitation, as these changes, have been occuring. The more regulation they put on slaughterhouses, the more problems they create.
Like a hospital, the the quickest place to pick up a communicable disease. Now we have e-coli problems, that never existed b4.

Common sense, has a lot to do with sanitation. Caring about a quality product, has a lot to do with sanitation.

Organic Farmers are now, "Rotating Pastures". :laugh: This is one thing that has always been done by farmers. City slickers, are the ones promoting, "Factory Farms". People are becoming so far removed from agriculture/horticulture, that everything is observed through the lens of a -sterile clinical study. Then later, a field study, that gets written up in equations and chemical symbols.

Sometimes when understanding life, empathy tells you more than, data.
Small Ax - just a question - I know you are into experimenting with Organics also - but I am interested if you use altered seeds such as RU ready soil beans?