Separate names with a comma.
Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.
Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by foreplease, Aug 28, 2013.
Not too bad yet...
Monday, September 23 (after 3rd home game in a row and rain)
The rain could have been worse. Friday was windy, helping to dry things up somewhat. There is some damage but while i was away I was concerned that it would be worse.
9/23 This is typical of seedlings from August 25-26 overseed and topdress.
9/23 Here are a couple areas that had damage/heavy wear. it could have been worse.
9/23 Visitor Sideline (one of the areas I pre-seeded Thursday)
9/23 View of southwest end facing northeast
Do you do anything with the track surfaces also, or just playing surfaces?
I do not do anything with or for tracks. Try not to damage them is all.
This field has survived 7th, 8th, 9th grade and varsity football games, occasional practices, a little use from Rocket Football, and band. It has had some damage, as expected, but is growing strong and hanging in there. However, I'm now getting my ass kicked by animals at one end of the field (out of bounds area beyond end-zone). I have seen squirrels digging here and suspect there is a skunk. There are no grubs, at least not a significant number (sprayed 7/31).
This is the visitor sideline shown in the last set of pictures. Traffic continues to be hard on it but the seed I put down before the game is helping a little. It would help if they could afford sideline mats.
It still looked pretty good for last Friday's game. We had 1/2" rain over 2 days in the week before the game. That is an amount of rain we should be happy to have and the field should handle. Not much drying happened that week due to cooler temperatures, overcast foggy days, and light winds. It played softer than I would have liked.
I will get some "after" pictures up from this game soon. There were 56 points scored on a soft field. There was some damage. There is one more home game to go.
The 4 photos below show the field as it was for Friday's "Homecoming" game, which was also the final home varsity game of the year. The field painting work had not been completed at the time I took these photos. The ribbon and all numbers on the field were pink by game time in observance of the breast cancer awareness "pink out' campaign.
Due to family commitments this week I was unable to return at game time to get a photo under the lights. I will take some pictures of damaged areas on the field this week. Honestly, it looked better before the game Friday than it did 2 weeks ago. I plan to make my third fertilizer application sometime this week, depending on freshman game schedule. Once they have finished for the year too, I will spot fill holes with a sand-soil-compost mix and more seed. I expect to use less than 1/2 yard of soil to fill all damaged areas. Next year's plan, if they have me back, will include deep coring instead of topdressing, depending on how it emerges from Winter.
I had fun with this.
nice stripes..... looks like it made good progress. Does the school system do any upkeep or maintenance once the season is over? Anything to put the field to "bed" for the winter?
The school's man mows and paints lines. He told me that he put some perennial rye seed down on the sidelines at the end of last season. Until this year they had not done any fertilizing, weed control, topdressing, aerating or anything else for many years. They have a good irrigation system and it gets mowed often Spring through Fall.
I will be fertilizing and filling a few holes to put it to bed this year. The school will keep mowing as late in the year as necessary. It should look better next Spring than it has in a long time. With it now growing aggressively and having knocked out most weeds, next year should be easier with more fine tuning. There are a few areas with bentgrass I would like to take out next year. The last step for any project like this (for me) is "evaluate results and tweak plan for next year." I will be meeting with the athletic director soon to do that.