Footwear

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by tdoeizreal, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Midwest

What kind of footwear do you wear when spreading granular while using a ride on?

I have ALWAYS worn steel toed boots while working, even before I did lawn care. But I don't necessarily see a need anymore. Steel toed shoes may work. Our even just regular ol shoes.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Regular shoes may not always be legal--, if the operator is applying crabgrass control--or grub control--it is likely impervious footwear is required (shoes plus socks--is probably the minimum).
    True, not much fertilizer is thrown on the feet. Check the label of the applied product.
    Low rubber boots are probably the best option. Good traction--not smooth.

Naturally, if you are spraying any herbicide--impervious footwear is probably required. If you step off and spot spray some weeds, then of course, rubber boots are required. You do not want your sneakers soaked with chemical and then wear them every day for 6 months--absorbing chemical through the skin of your feet for 6 months. If your shoes, socks or feet are yellow--that is a bad sign.
    Keep an eye on your employees, if they get sick in the future--and hire a lawyer--how come you did not provide proper protective equipment?

I looked up the label on prodiamine for instance.
    Protective equipment required, "Shoes plus socks". Strange--that is not much protection if you are spraying with a hose for instance.
    Perhaps your state has more stringent regulations.

https://www.domyown.com/msds/PRODIAMINE_65WDG_Label.pdf

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Here health and safety regulations means it it mandatory to wear protective footwear, most safety boots are very light as they use TPU, kevlar or carbon fiber for toe and sole linings on most worksites have the slogan: no boots no job.

4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Rubber boots for any application. While I know it’s overkill, it keeps my habits good. Start wearing regular shoes here and there and before long that’s all I’d wear. End up with some crazy cancer in 5 years that way.

Golf shoes for mowing, rubber boots for apps.

5. tdoeizreal

Male, from Midwest

Any special rubber boots? Or just the cheap ones down at tractor supply(which is what I used this past season)? Anyone uses the slip over rubber boots that go over the shoes?

6. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I used slip over rubber boots. This provides the support, comfort and durability of work boot with the protection of rubber.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing. Who uses a "boot drying rack"? I mean two dowels sticking up. You put the boots upside down over the dowels or sticks to dry overnight. Rain--no problem. I did not really have room for that on the back of my truck. Sometimes I put them out to dry in the cab overnight--HOWEVER--the cab smelled horrible in the morning. On a hot day they dried out really thoroughly, of course. Yucky, to have boots that did not dry fully overnight.
    How best to dry your sweaty boots overnight?

9. tdoeizreal

Male, from Midwest

10. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

I use a boot drying rack indoors. Spray them off with the hose real good and drain them out and set them upside down on the 2 sticks and they dry overnight. Sometimes I use foot powder but they never stink either way. It does however take a good bit for them to dry. Say around 12 hours if they are completely submerged in water