$$$ For Clients

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mark Iannini, May 14, 2019.

1. Mark Iannini

Mark Iannini LawnSite Member

I was contacted by another company who is "selling" their clients off. Some of these clients are integrated into some of our runs, and it may be beneficial to add about 20 or 30 more in the mix. Has anyone ever experienced purchasing clients. If so, what was the formula to figure how much you paid per client. I never "purchased" clients before. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

The search function will yield a ton of results for this question.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  3. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't pay anything unless the customers will sign a contract to stay on board all year long.

KUMA01 and Cam15 like this.
  5. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

First of all residential contracts are worthless in this situation. You have to determine the value of the customer base. Keep a couple of things in mind.
    1. Full payment up front should equal substantial discount on the purchase price to reflect the increased risk. I would try for payments based on retention.
    2. It is much easier to purchase a business than to sell a business. The seller has to sell (or walk away). The buyer is under no such pressure.
    Properly structured, a purchase can be a wonderful thing.

Good luck.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mark Iannini

Mark Iannini LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input. I'm going to keep in mind that we are in no pressure to purchase the yards. Would be nice to have as they are close by, but in the end, we are in the drivers seat. Thanks!

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  7. Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

For starters, when comparing yourself to the seller do you see yourself having the capacity to manage these accounts better than the seller? If so, then I've heard of people buying out competitors for three times the monthly revenue but probably not the best way to do it. I wouldn't pay more than the monthly revenue plus any estimated add on services you are capable of doing in that first month. Such as aeration, cleanups, tree service fertilization etc. Be realistic with what can do or not do in the next 30 days after purchase and don't pay more than what you are sure that you can get back. You are essentially taking a gamble since none of the customers are locked into a contract. If you do end up buying make sure that the seller signs a non-compete agreement so they don't come back and try to take their business back.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Erik, I'd like to put you across the table from Ted and just watch...:popcorn:

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

I haven't had the pleasure...

10. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Just be ready....

Oxmow likes this.