For getting thru small gates

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
In my opinion, every fence installed should have a eight foot wide gate in addition to the smaller one.

Problem solved.
agreed
a double gate that maybe you dont use much and a man gate.
sometimes i build them so its a 48" swing off of a 36" swing where the 48 has a j bolt, so basically you use the 36 all day every day and the 48 if/when.

AS long as you can get a 48 in the back yard you're good to go.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
In my opinion, every fence installed should have a eight foot wide gate in addition to the smaller one.

Problem solved.
At the end of my driveway, there's a chain link fence where the back yard starts.
When we had the fencing installed, I had them put a gate about 8' wide that just appears to be a section of fencing with a 36" gate that connects to it.
Made it easy to park our camping trailer in the back when desired, or getting the truck into the back if needed.

That said, that's a pretty cool, old mower.

DMT29

LawnSite Platinum Member
GUMP-o-matrix lawn mower

you know what I like to do about getting through small gates?

install a larger one or refer someone else
Had numerous people over the years change their gates. I need to get what I need to use back their or find someone else.

SS Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Lawn guys get it when it comes to the gate situation! We go overkill just in case. I had an older customer back in the day who had a larger back yard that I could get a 34" walk behind Gravely mower in. He told me after mowing one day that he was installing a new wooden fence and gate. I was young and didn't know better, so I assumed he would at least keep the same width. I didn't say, you know, you should consider widening the gate. Well, came back the next week, and sure enough he put a gate just wide enough to fit a 21" mower. I remember cursing under my breath, and simultaneously realizing he was about to be dropped after the mow. Thick, well fertilized and irrigated bermuda in a large backyard does not mix well with a mulching Honda HRC 21. It took me damn near 45 minutes to mow that back yard that day, when I used to do it in 20. I had a 60" mower that I mowed the smaller front with in about 5-6 minutes. It felt absolutely stupid to have that 60" sitting on the trailer and pushing a Honda back there. It was just as much my fault for not speaking up, big lesson learned. Gates matter!

Top Forums