1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

for those who have been to court to collect

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 24, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a member here recently got boned in small claims court. i don't believe in small claims court. anytime ive had to use the court system to collect, i've filed it as a theft. my question is has anyone used this method, and what was the turnout? i recently filed once again with the courts, and they changed thier policy slightly in one town here. there is "small claims", which i will not use, then there is the "change". you have to specify wether you want to file it as "theft of service", or "criminal theft." i told them, "which ever one will result in him being placed in handcuffs, forced to pay my bill, and then prosecuted further as a criminal." the clerk just looked at me with a blank look, and said , "fill out this form." it was a new form titled, "criminal theft." question here is, has anyone gone this route, and what was the turnout?

2. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

Nah, I don't bother with that myself. I'd rather just do a drive-by shooting :gunsfirin ...jk.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Going for the jugular, ey bobby??? :angry:

4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the amount. If it is under $500 then we go to a "Friendly" court and win 99% of the time. Over, it is either Obtaining Good under False Pretenses" or "Theft by Deceiption". Usually they will get a call from the OD telling them of the complaint and when they realize it is not a joke but criminal I get a cashiers check in a day or two. Only one jack$&@ went all the way and got 5 years probation and still had to pay the money with interest.