Lawn Care Forum banner

FOR those who just do FERTILIZATION what type of vehicle do you use?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  HBFOXJr 
#1 ·
i am useing a 1996 ford f-250 ex-cab diesel (68,000 mil) to fertilize lawns. that's all i do no more cutting thank god. went through 1 tranny and it is in the shop now for tranny work...
i am getting tired of it ...i was thinking about a ups or fed-x truck or a van as my fertilization vehikle. what do you guys use?
ant

#5 ·
I used a trailer last year, it really was hard getting around. Streets tend to be crowded wherever I needed to pull up to a lawn. Uturns ruined a set of tires in no time flat and a 500 gal tank and hoses and pump overburdened the tandem axle trailer. I broke a leaf spring, replaced all the shackles, bought new tires, the brakes were failing due to the weight. It almost caused a few accidents.

I think a panel van would be nice if it had reasonable access to hoses, etc. It's nice for advertising on the side and would hide all the crap.

#7 ·
granular vs liquid?
pricewise i honestly find liquid less expensive. this is vs bagged fertilizer that i order via the farmer's elevator. i can specify what i want as far as npk and they make it and bag it accordingly. last year when it was super hot and dry, i used dry fert. it cost me more per 1000sqft than my liquid. maybe it's a regional thing or what, but it's entirely possible. i had more trouble with dry also. overlap and small chunks caused burning. if the yard is not nice and smooth, it's hard to maintain a constant speed, thus creating irregular spreading. liquid is much more controlable i find. not only that, but have you ever priced dry fert with and insecticide on it? holy moly, you better double your prices.
:eek:

#8 ·
Ant- we use isuzu npr diesel box van. get the heavy duty version or frr, as a pallet of fert and a full 3-500 gallons adds 7000lbs quick. we use a 14 ft box, and w/ perma green, cabinet and buggy, space gets tight .I'd be looking at 16-18 ft boxes, and put a couple of office supply cabinets for chemical and tool storage, and a BIG 7ft x7ft tommy lift for your ride on spreader to pull inside. The tommy we have is too small. A 4 ft side door is a must for hose reel. Ours was around 30 grand new, and another 5g's or so wouldve got the tommy, graphics and weight rating I need. payment is around 700 per on 48 months, not cheap, but really less than a days profit spraying. Dave

#9 ·
:confused:thanks for all your replys ,i got my truck back friday and still confused a bit on how i should switch vehicles i think its something i need to pray about,i got 13 mo. left on payments and hate to make payments again.
i use a perm-a-green ride on and its nice transporting itv on the rack.
ant

#10 ·
ant,

Put a tap on that tranny pan and drain that fluid monthly and refill and it and will last a lot longer than normal. Refilling the fluid only adds 1/3 new fluid because you can never drain all of the fluid out so changing it often is good for tranny life.

Bedros

#11 ·
ant

#13 ·
Ant- what are you doing pulling a hose when you got a PG machine? Talk to me son.

I'm using a 2500 Chevy with 8' utility body. It does some irrigation service too. Compartments are good for stuff like a scale, gloves, rain bonnets for the spreaders, chemiclas etc.

A pallet of fert slides in the back and center over the axle.

Pulls a 12' tandem trailer with PG machine, Lesco gas machine w/PG 3 gal sprayer, 25 gal nurse tank with weed control for either rig and room to spare.

#14 ·
harold" for merit,insect control.
ant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.