• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

For those with USPS Bulk Mailing Permits...

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
I have/had my my bulk mailing permit from USPS for a few years now. I have been doing tri-fold brochures for years. This year I think I'm going to change to postcard size (either 4x6 or 5x7). Was curious what the pricing is for postcards, if it is any different than letter size.

thx:waving:

N.TX

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey LB...what do you have to do to get the bulk mailing permit and what does it run you for what your doing?

Fleur De Lawn

LawnSite Member
i looked into getting a bulk rate permit, but found it cheaper to find a local company to do that for me. 23 cents a card it was actually cheaper to use them than get a bulk rate permit for. I am not sending out more than 5,000 a year.

OP
L

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
go down to your local postoffice...only certain ones do bulk mailing. There is a one-time setup fee (150 I believe) and then another annual fee of the same amount I believe. You then get a permit number which you can print right onto your brochures, flyers, etc.

OP
L

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
i looked into getting a bulk rate permit, but found it cheaper to find a local company to do that for me. 23 cents a card it was actually cheaper to use them than get a bulk rate permit for. I am not sending out more than 5,000 a year.

glad that works for you. But what I do is working just fine.

I'm going to postoffice this afternoon and will find out.

Joe Shooner

LawnSite Senior Member
When mailing 1st class, you can get "Postcard Rate" on a size up to (I believe) 4.25" x 6". After that it's considered a "Letter" and will mail at the letter postage rate ($0.44). This is a big difference if you're mailing 1st class, but if you're mailing "Presort Standard" (formerly bulk-rate), then the post office doesn't distinguish between "postcard" and "letter". You can assume about $0.24/piece in presort standard postage on anything up to 11.5" x 6 1/8". Bigger than that is considered a "flat".

In answer to your question though, I wouldn't expect to save much in postage if you're mailing them pre-sort, but you can avoid having to tab them closed with stickers, etc. which will save you time and effort.

OP
L

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
When mailing 1st class, you can get "Postcard Rate" on a size up to (I believe) 4.25" x 6". After that it's considered a "Letter" and will mail at the letter postage rate ($0.44). This is a big difference if you're mailing 1st class, but if you're mailing "Presort Standard" (formerly bulk-rate), then the post office doesn't distinguish between "postcard" and "letter". You can assume about $0.24/piece in presort standard postage on anything up to 11.5" x 6 1/8". Bigger than that is considered a "flat".

In answer to your question though, I wouldn't expect to save much in postage if you're mailing them pre-sort, but you can avoid having to tab them closed with stickers, etc. which will save you time and effort.
thanks for answering my question Joe. Yes I'm mailing "bulk rate". I didn't get a chance to stop of the Post Office cause I got called to salt/sand a lot yesterday afternoon. And yes, that's one of the big reasons I'm thinking of going to the postcard (4x6) is because in addition to the printing fees I have to pay a "tabbing" fee and with letters now it requires two not one tab. The cost for 5k flyers was something like an additional 125 or 225. I could print another 2500 flyers for that cost (which I plan on doing).

thanks again:waving: