Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Nice link to a thread full of people saying to either pull the motor, pull the cab, or use CUSTOM MADE tools. And an allen wrench? on head studs? Let me know how long that allen wrench lasts when you try and torque the studs.

Nice link to a thread full of people saying to either pull the motor, pull the cab, or use CUSTOM MADE tools. And an allen wrench? on head studs? Let me know how long that allen wrench lasts when you try and torque the studs.
You do not torque the stud, you torque the nut on the stud. Studs must be installed hand tight!

You use the allen wrench to install the studs then you tighten the nuts with a torque wrench and the snap on SRD35 torque adpater witha 18mm 12 point socket, you obviously have never bought arp head studs in your life nor have you seen them. So this argument is mute.

A video no studs in there but more people talking about not pulling the cab or motor.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/209313-time-lapse-6-0-head-gaskets-cab.html

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Update:

I have decided to do nothing right now. I know there is a problem, but manageable for a few months, at least. Between Dec 31 and Mar 15, I only drive 300-400 miles. I go through one tank of fuel during Jan and Feb.

I've driven very little the past two weeks, and don't see any spotting.

I had my eye on a 2012 F-250XL, but the dealer never followed through with getting me final information. I suppose they were so busy pushing out vehicles near the end of the year, a $27K vehicle was not worth the time. Also, in talking with my financial folks, the changes in taxes for 2013, I may be better to take the hit in 2013, not 2012. Putting a new vehicle on the road during the Winter months for so little driving was probably not a good idea either.

However, I am still thinking the $3K repair may be the best path for me. I will know better my long-term plans by mid-March, and the need of a work truck. I will be 72 next time around, and need to start making plans to wind down.

Thanks so much for all the comments and contributions to my thread. I appreciated the input.

Much wisdom in your thought process. Appreciate your sharing it with us.

Would love to read your thoughts about winding down as I am not that far behind you in years and am thinking towards the future myself.

All the best.

You don't torque the stud's, you torque the nut's that go on the stud's.
I would not buy any replacement motor to replace this problem. I'd say that 3 out of 10 rebuilt engines are JUNK. Patched together junk.

72? That change's everything. I'd trade that peace of junk in for a rocking chair!

You don't torque the stud's, you torque the nut's that go on the stud's.
I would not buy any replacement motor to replace this problem. I'd say that 3 out of 10 rebuilt engines are JUNK. Patched together junk.

72? That change's everything. I'd trade that peace of junk in for a rocking chair!
Are you really busting his chops about being 72 and able to do this kind of work?
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you really busting his chops about being 72 and able to do this kind of work?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, not at all. Calm down. Go lay on the beach or something. There's no way I'll be able to do this work when I'm that age.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
... Go lay on the beach or something. ....
Nah, no laying on the beach. The beach would be a good place to go if it wasn't for all the sand.

No rocking chair here either, no Lazy-Z-Boy, or any other such sitting furniture. Some of us don't "sit" very well.

However, we do like to drive our pickups, repair things, tow a trailer, ... be productive.

Nah, no laying on the beach. The beach would be a good place to go if it wasn't for all the sand.

No rocking chair here either, no Lazy-Z-Boy, or any other such sitting furniture. Some of us don't "sit" very well.

However, we do like to drive our pickups, repair things, tow a trailer, ... be productive.
I understand. My Grandfather had a grading/plumbing business from the end of the Korean war till about 1997 or so. Retired sat down and went down hill. Other then burying a dead cow or horse here and there he didn't do much. I miss riding in that ol' dump truck with him. He passed away on 6-29-12.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Update: I opted to do nothing about the leak. I changed oil in early Spring, and have driven it about the same as last season -- about 5,000 miles per year, mostly pulling a single-axle trailer filled with mowers and equipment.

I still get a very small leak, small spots on the driveway where it is parked, but only periodically. I changed oil in mid-Summer as well. Between the Spring change, and the Summer change, I added one quart to top it off. Since the mid-Summer change, I have added one quart. So, I am loosing about a quart every 2,500 miles, over a three month period. The leak does not appear to be progressing.

I now believe I made the right decision to do nothing. I'm more than happy to add one quart of oil now and then, rather than having spent $3,000 on the repair. Actually, I am happy to add the one quart, knowing I didn't spend $3,000. A couple of quarts of oil is very cheap, over against the repair.

Shoot, Roger, my F150 uses a quart every 2000 miles and it doesn't even leak. Sounds like you are taking the correct course of action. One thing to watch, though is make sure the oil does not drip on anything electrical ie starters, alternators, etc.

You probably started driving easier once you knew the problem was the head gasket. If you start turning a lot of RPMs the oil builds up in the head and causes the leak to temporary get worse until it drains back. Highway speeds will cause this too if you travel long at high highway speeds.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.