1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

ford f- 550/GM C-4500?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by swing blade, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. swing blade

    swing blade LawnSite Member
    Messages: 123

    ok, I went out looking for a new truck today and i am very interested in Gm's Kodiak C4500. I was really only planning on purchasing a 1 ton but it wasn't that much more cost to get a larger truck like the C-4500. I looked at ford and there comporable truck is either the F-450 or 550. The price difference is around 1500 betewwn the two so if I were to purchase a ford it would more than likely be the F-550. I had it quoted with a crew cab, 200 inch wheel base, 4x4, Deisel torqueshift transmission. It will also have a 12' dump body on it. Do any of you use either the Ford F-450 or F-550, or the C-4500, and if so, how do you like them? Would you recommend any certian options? Are there any items we should look out for? We currently are doing a lot of lawn care and are doing around 25 landscaping accounts each year. These landscaping accounts are full service, meaning we do all the weeding, watering, fertilizing, planting, pruning, etc. I also work closely with my partners step father who is an excavator, and we are beginning to utilize his equipment so I need to ability to tow a backhoe or anything along those weights. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,755

    If you need to tow a backhoe you will need bigger than a f 550 to be safe . Towing it is one thing stopping it is another
  3. rob1325

    rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 697

    If you get a crew cab and a 12" body hope you dont plan on plowing unles it is wide open lot. My bud got same thing and hates it for plowing because to long.
  4. i_plant_art

    i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 558

    i would go with the ford personally... ive have my share of GM vehicles and nothing even compares to the towing camacity of the Fords... ive got a F350 PSD 4x4 and its a hoss..... will tow anything... ive used a F450 and F550 and they both are hoss's daddy for sure.... i see alot of guys using GM but they dont seem to last as long, and always need repairs form what i hear due to the stress of towing and hauling all the time. just my .02
  5. Smalltimer1

    Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,223

    Go with the F-550. The '05 F-550's have a better turning radius than the 4500. If you go to the Chevy place, they're gonna feed you last years numbers when the 4500 had a better radius. The 6-Liter Power Stroke diesel in the Ford is also the 325hp/570tq. one. The Duramax in the 4500 is derated to 220hp I believe.

    FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 986

    What size backhoe are you talking about? If it is a small one such as a Kubota, either will be fine. If you are talking like a Ford 555, then the F-550 is out, and maybe the 4500.

    The GM will have a MUCH better turning radius. We have three 550 crew cabs in emergency service (2 7.3's, 1 6.0). The 6.0 runs a little better, but the tranny is MUCH MUCH better. Ours are loaded about 1500lbs below max GVW and they all are crap to stop. You can't hardly turn them around in a 40 acre field either.

    Good luck.
  7. Smalltimer1

    Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,223

    The '05 F-450 and 550 have the larger diameter and thicker brakes. That will eliminate the stopping issues. They also have improved the turning radius better than the C-4500 this year with the redesign. I second the 6-Liter/Torqshift combo. I drove one last weekend and it really hauls buggy and has great compression braking.
  8. GardenofWeeden

    GardenofWeeden LawnSite Member
    Messages: 50

    Check state regulations on a Commercials Driviers License and in some cases a Health Card to get it. 10,000 lbs. is the towing capibility of everyday drivers. Anything above you need a CDL. The Health Card is ensuring you can see, hear, and function normally. However, some people fail and therefore lose the opportunity for a CDL.
    Just my .02 also. I am looking at the F-450 myself. I like Ford's Credit program. :eek:)
  9. myoder

    myoder LawnSite Member
    Messages: 140

    JMO, I would get the c4500 or 5500... Very nice trucks.

    The LB7 is in the topkicks with 300hp
  10. swing blade

    swing blade LawnSite Member
    Messages: 123

    Thanks for the input everyone. Garden of weeden, I have wondered about that issue, how does that work. I can go rent a u-haul truck and I don't need a CDL and I think their rated at 26k. The f-550 is 17,500 according to the brochure. Also I thought that if it was equiped with air brakes you were required to carry a cdl. Is there more to it in indiana than that or how does it work?

Share This Page