Lawn Care Forum banner

Ford Ranger idling problem

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Vikings 
#1 ·
My ford ranger '96 6 cycl. is reving up then settles down over and over.

If I'm sitting there with my foot on the brake it will click then rev about 3000 rpms then settle back down, then do it again, about every 10-15 seconds.

There is also a background with this problem:

This truck, ever since I bought it revs high at start up.. at least high in my opinion. I have to wait about 10 seconds till it revs down to where I can put it in gear. I'm putting my truck in gear at 15k rpms and I think the normal 'high' rev is about 10,000.

Right now it's idling at about 6-7,000 rpms, clicking, revs up 3,000 rpms then back down.

Now I had this problem before and they ended up fixing it but charged me lot and when I got the truck back, it still reved high at start up but the clicking was gone. I think they did an Injector flush but also some other things.. they basically sold me the farm.

Unfortunately my mechanic report is in the hands of my accountant as that happened in Dec.

See less See more
#2 ·
If its revving to 15,000 RPMs and idle speed is 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs I am surprised you have an engine left.

Which 6 cylinder? The 3.0 or the 4.0? Might be a computer issue. It should be equipped with a OBD-II that a compatible scanner should plug into and spew codes see if there is a code. If it is equipped with a OBD-II read most parts stores have one you can borrow or rent in hopes of selling you the correct part. Try that route.

As far as specifics I really do not have any idea.

#4 ·
If its revving to 15,000 RPMs and idle speed is 6,000 to 7,000 RPMs I am surprised you have an engine left.

Which 6 cylinder? The 3.0 or the 4.0? Might be a computer issue. It should be equipped with a OBD-II that a compatible scanner should plug into and spew codes see if there is a code. If it is equipped with a OBD-II read most parts stores have one you can borrow or rent in hopes of selling you the correct part. Try that route.

As far as specifics I really do not have any idea.
Sorry about that... too many zeros, wishful thinking like my money.:laugh:

Not sure how a 96 is wired but if it is equipped with a mass air flow sensor a leak in that system will cause the computer to surge seeking the right voltage range from that sensor. Had a comparable problem on a Mits Lancer.
It does have a mass air flow and the last few times I took, it in they suggested servicing it. I turned them down because.. well you know how mechanics are.. upsell upsell...

It's a 4.0 litre.

After some fooling around I found that it is related to the air conditioning compressor. It clicks (the clicking I hear) then the centre of the compressor starts turning, the engine revs, it stops turning and the engine revs down.

The Air never even worked on this truck but For some reason it get engaged when I turn the fan on. It's been raining a lot and I've been keeping cool defrost on to keep the window clear.

I turned the fan switch to off and now I have no 'erratic idling' but it comes right back if I turn the fan on.. heat or air.

I bought the manual and it shows how to replace the compressor and recharge the refrigerant. I wonder if that would give me air conditioning and fix my prob.

#6 ·
If the air conditioning is not cooling just un-plug the compressor, This will keep it from coming on when you turn the defrosters on (high idle RPM). When you replace the compressor plug the new one back up.

But, If the compressor is cycling quickly as you stated thats a sign of low refrigerant. The compressor could be just fine and the system just have a leak which lowered the refrigerant level. There is a low pressure switch that tells the compressor to kick off so not to damage the compressor should the system get low.

#7 ·
ok, so you're saying that the rpms are going up and down 300 rpms every 10 seconds or so? then yes, it's the compressor.

1500rpms at cold startup is about right, maybe a tad high..maybe not for a ranger...it's just adding fuel compensating for cold cylinder temps until the engine warms up.

#10 ·
ok, so you're saying that the rpms are going up and down 300 rpms every 10 seconds or so? then yes, it's the compressor.

1500rpms at cold startup is about right, maybe a tad high..maybe not for a ranger...it's just adding fuel compensating for cold cylinder temps until the engine warms up.
I understand that for when it's cold, we get a lot of that here in Canada. But we might do 18 lawns in a day and up to 50 drive ways in the winter. It zooms up at the start no matter what. I just checked, it zooms up to 1800 rpms.

This is trivial but I have to wait ten secs EVERY TIME! and people are on the clock.:laugh:

#11 ·
Check the edit in my post above ^^^^^^^^^^
You know what, when I try and put on the air conditioning it is a tiny bit cool. Almost a waste of time.. it is a waste of time and I don't use it but maybe I could recharge it.
That's actually a good Idea.

I've always thought that a garage has to do that sort of thing but I seen a picture in the haynes repair manual and it show a bottle hooked up to the lower tube or whatever. It reminded me of Fix a Flat.

Have you heard of people doing such things? I personally never have and I don't think I've ever seen the freon for sale either.

#12 ·
I was in the auto biz close to 13 yrs. and had been to trade school so I repair all my own.

If you have never done it or don't know what type refrigerant is in this system this system could be damaged worse that what it is now. Something such as this is best left to the professionals with proper tools to do the job.

They shouldn't charge too much to top it off with the proper amount/type refrigerant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.