1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ford ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by towtruck212, Dec 20, 2011.

1. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

I used to have a ranger 4cyl. 5 speed 2wd and it worked very well for me for 5 years until it was wrecked. I was getting 14 mpg pulling a trailer and i think im interested in getting another one but the 5 speeds are harder to find than the automatics. So is the auto in the 4cyl as trusty as the 5 speed i had.

Any input is appreciated.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I had two S10s that were 4 cylinder. One was a auto the other was a 5 speed. I preferred the auto with that engine. I'd personally go with a 3.0 V6 or even a 4.0 for the power. A 3.0 will give you some more giddy up without a huge loss of fuel economy.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

get a 2.7L toyota 4cyl 5 speed that's what i got and i love it...i had a 1988 model before this one and drove it for 300k miles with no issues before i sold it...these things are tanks and they get great gas mileage for a truck.

4. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

I just got rid of a 2004 ranger 4 cyl auto ,the truck had been great,but the tranny was letting go at 275,000 km.s probably 150,000 miles .The driver of that truck was going to quit after I sold it ,but I replaced it with a full size chevy so he seems happy for now l.o.l. .

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 08 with an auto. Only thing It pulls is a 100 cfm air compressor.Even towing something kinda lite like that ya have to let off the gas and let it shift.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

wow only 14mpg with a 4 cyl ranger? my tundra dosnt seem bad now at 12.5using ac. i also had a toyota 2,7-got same mpg as my v8 chevy-18. looks like no way to get decent mpg towing

7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have a 05 Ranger auto 4x4 extended cab but with the 4.0 v6 I do use it to tow my trailer with a z, push mower and tools its treats me pretty good. I get about the same when towing 14 mpg and if you drive it right letting of the gas at times to let it shift it is better. I do have a 4 cylinder s10 and its not the truck to pull a trailer trans can't take it and is a dog on the hills.