Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
13,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out with the Stinger WB today plugging away on lawns for the fall. Yep you guessed it, severed an invisible freaking dog fence. Owner told me about it beforehand, said to stay away from fence. I did.....not enough though. May have to comp the guy a future service or something, we'll see.

Anymore, I don't worry at all about sprinkler heads. Its those darn pet fences that are the worst. I'll bet, due to drier conditions, I wasn't pulling more than an inch to inch and a half plug today....you telling me those stupid fences are buried as shallow as that? Shouldn't those things be down like 4" if installed properly? I mean....1"? Heck, a little erosion here or there and the wire is freaking exposed for gosh sakes.

· Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Out with the Stinger WB today plugging away on lawns for the fall. Yep you guessed it, severed an invisible freaking dog fence. Owner told me about it beforehand, said to stay away from fence. I did.....not enough though. May have to comp the guy a future service or something, we'll see.

Anymore, I don't worry at all about sprinkler heads. Its those darn pet fences that are the worst. I'll bet, due to drier conditions, I wasn't pulling more than an inch to inch and a half plug today....you telling me those stupid fences are buried as shallow as that? Shouldn't those things be down like 4" if installed properly? I mean....1"? Heck, a little erosion here or there and the wire is freaking exposed for gosh sakes.
I got one last year. Funny thing is it was the neighbor of my customer and the line was over the property line. It was an ordeal and a half.

· Registered
8,387 Posts

Did you participate in the other threads about CATV lines being 1" down. The invisible fences are even less "regulated".

· Registered
13,129 Posts
When selling Core Aerations, one of the first questions we ask right off the bat is "Do you have an Invisible Fence, (buried dog containment wire)?"
If they answer "Yes", then NO aeration for that property!
They get the consolation app of gypsum instead.

For this same reason, other companies are now doing "liquid aerations"....

· Registered
13,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When selling Core Aerations, one of the first questions we ask right off the bat is "Do you have an Invisible Fence, (buried dog containment wire)?"
If they answer "Yes", then NO aeration for that property!
They get the consolation app of gypsum instead.

For this same reason, other companies are now doing "liquid aerations"....
You know what...I may just cut off doggy fence properties as well. Completely avoid the pia.

· Registered
3,847 Posts

And I've had them completly out of the ground after storms!

They aren't hard to fix. It's just a copper wire that gets spliced. I tore a big one up and just used an AM radio signal to find the breaks and splice them.

Reactions: Crazy 4 grass

· Registered
13,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got one last year. Funny thing is it was the neighbor of my customer and the line was over the property line. It was an ordeal and a half.
[/QUOTpian

Shoot, if I sever a neighbors pet fence that was incorrectly buried on my customers lawns, that neighbor is flat sol. End of story.

· Registered
13,129 Posts
Lawns don't need aeration period.
Silly sales pitch. The earth has not needed holes punched in it for 10,000 years.
My lawn or any I take care of have never been aerated. And are 100% healthy. Not being a douce but aeration is a service offered for $$$$ only.
It does zero for a healthy lawn.
What about soil compaction? Or hard-pan clay? Or thick thatch layer...? 🧱

· Registered
9,183 Posts
What about soil compaction? Or hard-pan clay? Or thick thatch layer...? 🧱
Ok.
So in the past 20 years earth has been compacting?
Seems it's been perfectly fine for millenniums.
Grass grows ! It's been covering earth non stop.
I understand it's a good end of season boost. But after the glaciers left North America 10k yrs ago grass has done well without annual aeration.
Right up there with annual de-thatching🤣
What did the world do pryor to 1998?

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Silly sales pitch. The earth has not needed holes punched in it for 10,000 years.
My lawn or any I take care of have never been aerated. And are 100% healthy. Not being a douce but aeration is a service offered for $$$$ only.
Aeration is a less aggressive form of cultivation. So you're implying that cultivation in general is not needed? I guess we can all get rid of any implements we use then!

Reactions: mowmoney69

· Registered
9,183 Posts
Aeration is a less aggressive form of cultivation. So you're implying that cultivation in general is not needed? I guess we can all get rid of any implements we use then!

Cultivating is tilling up the soil so seeds can be planted for crops.
I also cultivate between rows in my vegie garden to destroy weeds.
But I've never had to aerated any lawn to keep them healthy.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
Cultivating is tilling up the soil so seeds can be planted for crops.
I also cultivate between rows in my vegie garden to destroy weeds.
But I've never had to aerated any lawn to keep them healthy.
Your in MN. Your growing conditions are way different than most of the country. Your USDA hardiness zones are 3 & 4. Since you're "close" to TORO, you should drop by and tell them they can stop making aerators and such since they aren't really needed. You could also go to UM and tell them they're full of crap about soil compaction and to retract this article. OR you could educate yourself about soil.

· Registered
9,183 Posts
Your in MN. Your growing conditions are way different than most of the country. Your USDA hardiness zones are 3 & 4. Since you're "close" to TORO, you should drop by and tell them they can stop making aerators and such since they aren't really needed. You could also go to UM and tell them they're full of crap about soil compaction and to retract this article. OR you could educate yourself about soil.

I read your article from UM extension service. It was 100% about farming using large heavy farm equipment and trucks.
That trucks with over 10 ton per axle can compact soil down to 2 feet deep.
Absolutely nothing about turf soil or lawn equipment compacting soil's. So again. Is there such thing as compaction? Yep.
But unless your driving semi's on lawns it's a mute point.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
I read your article from UM extension service. It was 100% about farming using large heavy farm equipment and trucks.
That trucks with over 10 ton per axle can compact soil down to 2 feet deep.
Absolutely nothing about turf soil or lawn equipment compacting soil's. So again. Is there such thing as compaction? Yep.
But unless your driving semi's on lawns it's a mute point.

• Haha
Reactions: mowmoney69

· Premium Member
4,523 Posts
That’s such an ignorant statement. Come down here and check out this heavy clay, red dirt soil and tell me aerating is just a sales pitch. Come look at the ball fields I have to aerate 3-4 times per year and explain how that field would be 100% healthy without aerating. It’s situational. Can be a sales pitch, just like mowing is with the 1/3 rule.

· Registered
13,129 Posts
Ok.
So in the past 20 years earth has been compacting?
Seems it's been perfectly fine for millenniums.
Grass grows ! It's been covering earth non stop.
I understand it's a good end of season boost. But after the glaciers left North America 10k yrs ago grass has done well without annual aeration.
Right up there with annual de-thatching🤣
What did the world do prior to 1998?
That’s such an ignorant statement. Come down here and check out this heavy clay, red dirt soil and tell me aerating is just a sales pitch. Come look at the ball fields I have to aerate 3-4 times per year and explain how that field would be 100% healthy without aerating. It’s situational. Can be a sales pitch, just like mowing is with the 1/3 rule.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts