• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Forms W-3, 1099, 1096

mcw615

LawnSite Senior Member
Form W-3: Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements with the Social Sec. Adm.
Form 1096: Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Payee Informational Returns with the IRS
Form W-2 & 1099: Furnish each employee a completed W-2 (duh), and furnish each other payee a completed form 1099 or 1099-MISC

I have had an accountant the last 2 years, but this year just me on the payroll, I'm 12 month salary, She basically for the first two months of last year she would uncheck '1st QTR' and checked '2nd QTR' and clicked print because nothing changed. I would have to go pick up the returns sign them, then go home log in to EFTPS and make a deposit. An accountant was convenient when I had employees because wages were different each month etc etc. but since it has just been me all year I said I will save me 2-3 hours each month from having to run to her office grab the forms and write her a $60 check for 5 seconds of work and an additional $100 for quarterly returns. So I have been doing all my taxes just fine all year no problems in my office all in less than 15 minutes and the only cost is the $0.44 stamp.

I am looking through IRS Circulation E pub. 15 'Employers Tax Guide' to make sure I am filing my annual taxes correct. I see where it requires I issue all non employee payees a 1099, complete a W-3 (summary of all W-2's) and complete a 1096 (summary of 1099's mailed)

I looked back at the last two years for what annual forms my accountant filed and there was never a W-3 submited, 1099's mailed, or 1096 submitted. Never heard from the IRS and just read where it is required.

Do any of you or your accountants file these 3 forms?

Hmm, also now found Form 945: Annual Witholding Return. I looked at the form, you would enter your total federal witholding taken for the entire year, how much is paid and balance due. That was never done either for 2 years, just the 941 quarterly return

Last edited: