• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Formula for dormant oil?

BIOGRASS

LawnSite Member
What is the formula you use for dormant oil?

If you do not use dormant oil what do you use instead?

Lemme know...

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
What is the formula you use for dormant oil?

If you do not use dormant oil what do you use instead?

Lemme know...
I apply horticultural oil at 2-3% depending upon time of year. I stopped using the term dormant oil many years ago because it can be used throughout most of the growing season.

upidstay

LawnSite Bronze Member
Depends on the pest and the season. Had some hemlocks that were heavily infested with Wooly Adelgid, mites, and scale. Used a 5% solution spring and fall, plus fertilization and merit. (the trees were in BAD shape) They seem to be recovering nicely. Most of the time I go with a 2 or 3% solution. Other than that, I like M-Pede soap for just about everything.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
I treat a lot of fruit trees and go through those 1/2gallons very quickly. Do you know the make up of the horticultural oil? It looks like mineral oil and a surfactant.
Upidstay- I like that insecticidal soap (M-Pede). I think it has some potassium salts in it also. In the old days, we used to spray a white-wash of pure lime and water to fruit trees. I think it was helpful on the bottom.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Depends on the pest and the season. Had some hemlocks that were heavily infested with Wooly Adelgid, mites, and scale. Used a 5% solution spring and fall, plus fertilization and merit. (the trees were in BAD shape) They seem to be recovering nicely. Most of the time I go with a 2 or 3% solution. Other than that, I like M-Pede soap for just about everything.
I used to run an operation that treated thousands of hemlocks for the above mentioned pests I stopped using Merit on hemlocks because there was usually a mite outbreak in a year or so. I also stay away from high N ferts as many insects love the flush of new growth.

This site talks about uses & make up of horticultural oils. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/INSECT/05569.html