Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While visiting my niece, 25 miles away in another state, I came across a trimmer lying on the side of a country backroad. I thought, hey this makes up for my blower getting stolen 2 weeks ago. It turns out it is an Echo 210. I hate Echos. Its in pretty bad shape , but it did start after about 20 attempts. Too bad it wasn't a Shindaiwa.

·
Banned
787 Posts
seriously, why dont you guys like echos?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Originally posted by mower_babe
seriously, why dont you guys like echos?
No adjustment on the carb...won't cold start for anything. And I have been running Echos for 9 years straight now. Think I might change next year???

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
ever since home dumpho has taken on the echo line and made them cheapen up the stuff to sell it at low prices it has just gone down the drain. it wont be to long and echo will go under due to lack of interest in the professional market.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
It's unlikely Echo will go under because of lack of sales to professionals. As long as places like The Home Depot continue to sell Echo they have nothing to worry about.

I have read that homeowners make up as much as 65% of the commercial ZTR market. I do know of at least 1 Dixie dealer who's sales are about 90% homeowner and he outsells everybody else in the state.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Originally posted by PJ Binder
ever since home dumpho has taken on the echo line and made them cheapen up the stuff to sell it at low prices it has just gone down the drain. it wont be to long and echo will go under due to lack of interest in the professional market.
The FACT is (if facts even matter to you) that the products that are sold in HD are EXACTLY the same as they have always been, save for the CARB and EPA changes. Home Depot doesn't "make" anyone cheapen their product........one thing that differentiates HD and Lowe's from the big box discounters is that they offer a top of the line brand in almost all of their categories. FACT is, there are other big OPE two cycle companies who would LOVE to be in Home Depot.......one of the names would surprise a lot of people, based on their current ad campaign.

Another FACT: Echo still sells more trimmers to the commercial trade than any of it's competitors....not even close.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Echo just done a better of job of marketing, that's the only reason they out sell everyone else. It's not quality.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by Martino
Home Depot doesn't "make" anyone cheapen their product........
This is not true. Weber grills have 'cheaper' parts when sold from Home Depot. I purchased a Weber last year, and the cooking grates rusted. Called the CO., they asked where I purchased it, I told them HD, they told me HD uses cheaper parts to bring down costs.

I was doing a bathroom remodel, and purchased fixtures from a plumbing supply store. One of the manufacturers reps. was there, so I asked why the same fixture was cheaper at HD....He told me HD fixtures, even though they look the same, uses cheaper parts, made by the same co.
(IMO of course.....)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Let me tell you a story that happened a few week ago. ONe of our Summer workers didnt lock in my new Echo 260s on the rack when we let the last account. Well as I pulled up to the office I noticed it wasnt on the rack. Looked in the back of the truck, nothing. Drove back into the area we worked in and someone found the trimmer and propped it up on a golf cart xing sign.
I couldnt believe it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Originally posted by KenH
This is not true. Weber grills have 'cheaper' parts when sold from Home Depot. I purchased a Weber last year, and the cooking grates rusted. Called the CO., they asked where I purchased it, I told them HD, they told me HD uses cheaper parts to bring down costs.

I was doing a bathroom remodel, and purchased fixtures from a plumbing supply store. One of the manufacturers reps. was there, so I asked why the same fixture was cheaper at HD....He told me HD fixtures, even though they look the same, uses cheaper parts, made by the same co.
(IMO of course.....)
This may be true, but you're missing the point. The above mentioned cases (if true) are done so that the mfgs. can get the HD business. If they don't use cheaper parts, they can't get in the price points that HD needs, and HD would look elsewhere. Certainly not the case with Echo.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Originally posted by hunter
Echo just done a better of job of marketing, that's the only reason they out sell everyone else. It's not quality.
Hunter:

Pay attention. Echo does a HORRIBLE job of marketing....always has. Stihl has the market on how to effectively market their product and does a great job selling inferior products, in my opinion. The reason Echo ousells everyone else has everything to do with quality and also a very large, nationwide dealer base who believes in the product and likes to sell it because it cause them so little service problems. The big demographic for Echo is the larger LCO outfits and not the the single crew outfits that tend toward Stihl products because of their marketing prowess. These large companies constantly and consistently give Echo very high marks in reliability, performance and servicability. Of course these larger companies tend to put a lot more emphasis on maintenance than some smaller outfits, which goes a long way toward customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
334 Posts
About 10 yrs. ago I found a Tanaka hedge trimmer at the curb next to a few bags of clippings. It didn't fall off someones truck. No scratches, dents, etc. Put it in my truck and at my next stop I gave it 2 pulls and it started. I don't really use it much. Maybe 25 hrs. a year, but I sure can't beat the price!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.