Found an old system

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
so we have been working on a project that has an existing system. They are redoing the the landscape in the front yard so we are renovating and adding some zones. So yesterday I get a call that the landscapers were planting some screening trees by the road and found a bunch of buried valves. Turns out there was a curb stop and 10 zone manifold that was long since forgotten about. We cut out the valves and capped the main.
EE3B9A7F-7DB4-495D-A823-42846AD361B1.jpeg
09B64433-EC58-4F09-B095-625FF270C683.jpeg

CAPT Stream Rotar

LawnSite Fanatic
My old boss was so cheap he would save or try to re-use anything like that..

That was always entertaining.

When that happens with us we always try to keep extra care to make sure your on the right pipe in holes and T's.

Any idea how old?

magna111

LawnSite Senior Member
My old boss was so cheap he would save or try to re-use anything like that.
My dad does that, it drives me nuts! Especially when it’s the old insert fittings that don’t taper. I may save a few oddball parts that we don’t normally stock, but I don’t see the point. Most of the fittings he is trying to save cost us less than a buck a piece so it’s not really saving any money, and the time it takes to strip them we are probably losing money on them. And I think it looks bad when I’m pulling out a fitting (that I’m charging the customer full price for) that is caked in mud because it was in the ground yesterday.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
My dad does that, it drives me nuts! Especially when it’s the old insert fittings that don’t taper. I may save a few oddball parts that we don’t normally stock, but I don’t see the point. Most of the fittings he is trying to save cost us less than a buck a piece so it’s not really saving any money, and the time it takes to strip them we are probably losing money on them. And I think it looks bad when I’m pulling out a fitting (that I’m charging the customer full price for) that is caked in mud because it was in the ground yesterday.
Just think of the time and money you'd lose if the old fitting has a hairline crack or something and you install it, assuming you wouldn't charge the customer for the redo

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Just think of the time and money you'd lose if the old fitting has a hairline crack or something and you install it, assuming you wouldn't charge the customer for the redo
Advice for innocent-looking poly fittings you want to find the trash bin - burn them with your torch - scorch the barbs - melt the marlex threads.