1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Found Evidence of Employee Theft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

title says it all. Cleaning out one the plow trucks and found a dirty business card wedged in floor mat with employees name on one side and bullet list of services including mowing on reverse

2. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Senior Member

How is that stealing

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Soo, is this theft a case of an employee robbing you of time and using your equipment to do a little side work?

5. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if that is stealing...more like bad policy/ethics all around.

Looks like you have a conversation with the employee ahead of you, and I'm not talking a negative one, but one of understanding and investigation...Why don't you give a reward or % of the sale to the employee who landed it? For example if he gets Mrs. Smith to get her hedges trimmed, give the employee an incentive to sell it as your business.

assuming the services your employee is offering are the same as yours?

if you do lawn care and he is doing home construction...then I can't say he's stealing, but you might want to evaluate the "work" ethic of that employee and/or your policy on solicitation.

I like the employee myself. HE/she has drive and energy. THAT is SO rare to find; you as the business just need to channel that into your business sales.

6. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

Call it what you want. I call it Theft

It’s enough evidence for me to conclude that he is handing out business cards to My customers while On The Clock.

This not a court of law. That’s all I need.

On a call and grassmonkey0311 like this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know he was handing them out to your customers?

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Do/did you have a “non-compete” in place?

9. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a lot of different reasons he has a business card depending on the circumstances. If you don't have a non-compete or restrictive covenant, nothing preventing him from mowing on his time off.

Have one of your friends call the number on the card and have him ask the employee about what services he offers, etc...

10. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Handing out his own cards to existing customers of his employer in my opinion would be wrong.

If he's also using his employers equipment for side work, that's extremely wrong.

Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.