1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fountains

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ColePyck, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

hey I have a pretty large fountain, how do you guys go about keeping them filled? I was thinking of running a line off my irrigation and having it kick on 3 times a day for 5 minutes, it seems like the thing is always running out of water. Thanks

2. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I normally run a 1/2" line from the main line to a manual float switch inside the fountain.

3. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

where might one purchase a manual float switch ? Just installed a 6'- 3 tier in a windy location and customer not happy having to monitor/fill.

4. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I normally get them from my irrigation supply house or a local pond distributor. It almost looks like the float in the back of a toilet bowl. As the water level drops it opens a fill port which closes as soon as it hits the right level.

http://www.pondsupply.com/product2336.html

5. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

I have used these for ponds but thought there might be something smaller available for fountains. Anyone ?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You should not be loosing water like that. There must be a leak or you are getting too much splash out of the falls. I would look into these possible problems before going about about filling it up three times a day. Buy yes, you sure can do that by adding a separate irrigation valve on a controller, running a water line or dripline to the pond and setting it to run whenever you want.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

She is right...you should not be losing so much..."bob's float" valve would
    work if you had a mainline close..they do work good, but hard to hide.
    Check filtrific.com for the cool stuff, including a
    u.v. treatment unit that works. Check under" accessories "@ their site.:waving: