Frame ground location on John Deere 717a

JUSTIN1985

LawnSite Member
Hey guya, I have a John Deere 717a mini z-trak, zero turn mower I'm fixing. Someone took the battery and cables completely loose as well as the starter. I've got the starter back on, I'm trying to figure out where the frame ground is located. Does it go to the motor? I am very technical savvy. I've looked on a couple websites for diagrams but it hasn't shown me. Any help to where the positive, ground, and other black wire goes after the battery? Thanks much!

15685624770627160403928498672519.jpg

IMG_20190915_114749967_HDR.jpg

dieselss

LawnSite Silver Member
The upper pic....that's the batt cable.
The lower....if it's the same cable then like I said that's the batt cable.

The other gnd wire, where does the wire reach to, is there a hole or mounting block?

It might go directly to the starter via a mounting bolt

OP
J

JUSTIN1985

LawnSite Member
The cable in my hand is the negative battery cable. I was guessing it went to the starter housing. I hooked red wire up to battery and solenoid on starter, black wire in hand I out on negative battery and starter housing, then other black wire with slotted opening I put on negative battery. Only the fuel switch on carb will engage.

Gerry Trumper

LawnSite Member
Hey guya, I have a John Deere 717a mini z-trak, zero turn mower I'm fixing. Someone took the battery and cables completely loose as well as the starter. I've got the starter back on, I'm trying to figure out where the frame ground is located. Does it go to the motor? I am very technical savvy. I've looked on a couple websites for diagrams but it hasn't shown me. Any help to where the positive, ground, and other black wire goes after the battery? Thanks much!

View attachment 388518

View attachment 388519
I don't have a manual to refer to. The frame ground has always been suggested. Grounding with a motor mount bolt has found some trouble in the past by the bolt coming loose.

Gerry Trumper

LawnSite Member
While we are on the John Deere 717A. I have a question. I got the zero turn, no motor, original motor went bad. I have a 24hp Kohler 24 hp 7000 series. Trying to hook up the wiring is a problem. The only wire l see coming from the mower body is just one wire which l confirmed will give 12 volts when the switch is in the start mode. The charging wires are hooked up. The wires for the carb shutoff selonid, the ground wire for the coils for shutdown are a mystery to me at this time. Any help would be great.