Frankenstein Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by LantzScapes, Jan 17, 2018.

1. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Very cool, give it a quick power wash and it's like a new mower

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  2. LantzScapes

LantzScapes LawnSite Member

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has done something like this. For the joe blow solo guy the options are almost endless to build a nice mower like this for under $1000. Especially when you consider how popular the 21-30" 32" belt whatever debate thread is. Imagine taking a newer 28-32" worldlawn with the nicer "floating" deck design and slapping an older hydro rearend on it like I did. Nobrainer

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe not..I restored an old 36" scag with manual clutch....never got a good cut ultimately sold it for $300.

dishboy likes this.
  4. LantzScapes

Oh your right didn't think about the pto engagement vs manual for the blades. What was the issue with the cut? I've been using the 32" deck for a couple years and know it cuts good so should be ok I hope. Just cleaned the deck and threw on a fresh sharp set of blades. Tomorrow will be interesting

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Could't keep RPM up on blades.....

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

One thing to check is the size of the deck pulleys on both tractor units to be sure blade tip speed is correct.

7. LantzScapes

Here's a few before and afters from today. Cut really well for my standards haha. Don't see much of an issue with the tires overhanging the deck either as far as cut quality so far. Might try a set of mulching blades I have just to compare with these high lifts next week. Only thing is the mower seems to be a little slow. Full speed is like a normal walking pace, my 21" is faster lol. Wonder if the smaller pulley on the engine is the culprit? Or I just need to play around and tune the pumps or it's just an old piece of crap that's slow haha.

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

Blainethompson likes this.
  8. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

The engine pulley has to be the same size as what is on the pumps for a 1 to 1. Make sure the pumps arms are not been restricted rom movement, but not sure if the pumps need to be fully stroked.

LantzScapes likes this.
  9. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

But it cuts good

LantzScapes and sjessen like this.
  10. Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Member

Looks great

LantzScapes likes this.