Free golf balls for new accounts! LOTS of them

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
LOL, while browsing craigslist, came across this post! All new customers get 36 free golf balls a month, commercial accounts get up to 50 dozen quarterly !!!! Seems a golf ball retrieval company is going into the lawn biz here in stl...so they are going out and retrieving MASSIVE MASSIVE amounts of golf balls then turning around and giving them away for mowing accounts? Seems like they are paying their retrieval guys to go out and work, then give away that work just for mowing. I have seen it all.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/1560872140.html

clean_cut

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah, with company info, that'd be a great idea for advertisment, I'm not sure about 36 free a month though, maybe pass a few to your customers, especially if you work in a golfing neighborhood.

OP
D

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have never checked on the price for printing on golf balls but Im sure its not dirt cheap. Doing that on the massive amounts they are giving away combined with the fact they are a start up lawn biz (still could dump money in from other business but...), is not really feasible. Plus, golf balls come and go very very very often. Companies that advertize on golf balls that they know are going to get lost or stored away are not in the lawn business.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Yup, golf balls come and go, well said.

I used to collect them too but one day I just stopped doing it, I kept feeling
like I was stealing something thou I still have some from years back.

Funny thou, out of all the things one would find lots of in people's yards,
I know before I got into the business I never imagined it would be golf balls.

Triplex

LawnSite Senior Member
I have never checked on the price for printing on golf balls but Im sure its not dirt cheap. Doing that on the massive amounts they are giving away combined with the fact they are a start up lawn biz (still could dump money in from other business but...), is not really feasible. Plus, golf balls come and go very very very often. Companies that advertize on golf balls that they know are going to get lost or stored away are not in the lawn business.

That's why golf balls and pens are good giveaway items - people lose them easily, other people pick them up, and your name and phone number get spread around!

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
I run my business in St. Charles and that doesn't faze me one bit. ANYBODY THAT ADVERTISES ALL IN CAPS IS AN IDIOT. I doubt any educated person would even respond to that.

OP
D

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Its an absolutely stupid business idea. Lawn companies are not that same as these big medical firms, law offices, etc. that have tons of money to throw away. A golf ball is not near the same marketing value as a PEN. Pens are used every single day and can be given out to other people and passed around. A golf ball is hit and often lost or thrown in the bag with dozens of others or traded away. They are stealing Peter to pay Paul, just too dumb to realize it.
The ad stated 36 balls every month free... means 36 to each new customer...not that hard to understand

STIHL GUY

LawnSite Fanatic
maybe he has an account near a golf course so he just takes all the stray balls he can find and gives them away

Top Forums