• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

French Drain

KenH

LawnSite Bronze Member
That was a good article. In the process without the pipe or any fabric, wont the french drain become clogged over time from silt in the existing soils, and runoff???

kris

LawnSite Bronze Member
Your probably right Ken ... I've never really gone back to one years later to see if it is still working. It's a cheap Fix sometimes. Whenever I have done one I also incorporate a large rock filled pit.

KenH

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can see if you lined the trench with fabric, then laid the fabric on top of the stone, that would seem to be a better solution.

landscapingpoolguy

LawnSite Senior Member
i always ad a 4 inch pipe but never filter fabric....the fabric over time will clog up with dirt and not allow water to enter the pipe.....a good covering of 3/4 crushed gravel works just fine.

Chuck

kris

LawnSite Bronze Member
Chuck ...I 've done it both ways, but like I said i've never really followed up years later so I can't say for sure. I do agree that filter cloth will clog over time. i would use 3/4 clear instead of crush.