French Drain?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dodgemania, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Dodgemania

    Dodgemania LawnSite Member
    Messages: 97

    What is a French drain?
  2. grassworks

    grassworks LawnSite Member
    Messages: 134

    un garcon que est ? Cest la vie... je na parle pa francais bien sensasational

    j/k - here is a simple /basic description.
    It is shallow drain usually with drain (cor.) pipe laid in a bed of rock covered with a couple inches of soil to deliver water from one area to a lower area.
  3. activelandscaping

    activelandscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 241

    French drain

    Don't confuse this with a surface drain, these are usually placed in a low area where there is infrequent traffic or a high perk rate. Since they have no discharge point they will sediment quickly in heavy soils.


  4. Critical Care

    Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,654

    Place landscape fabric over it and can call it a curtain drain.

Share This Page