Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just a young college kid who still lives with the 'rents, but I still enjoy takin' care of the lawn. I come here for all of the knowledge and helpful info. figured I would contribute a little somethin'

used our old craftsman push mower, the self propelled wheels don't even work anymore, I think the cable snapped. all Flintstone foot power!!:walking:

sorry for the differences in "color" was playing with the digital cameras settings.

have a nice day :waving:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
nice job for a lil ol crapsman:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice work O.P. that looks great!

Aside from technique and quality of lawn itself (I.E. let's take two identical lawns, same operator using different mowers)- what is it about the mowers themselves that makes a difference? For instance S.G. mentioned that it looks good for a 21"- so all else being equal, even just a wider cut makes a difference? Obviously stuff like the type of blades and how sharp they are does, but what about shape of the deck itself (I.E. I would suspect the deeper decks have some advantage over the shallow ones on cheaper models)? I have a feeling the cheap 3-in-1 (bag/mulch/S.D.) convertibles with the real shallow decks don't work as well when the "mulch plate" is inserted, but whether it makes a difference in S.D. or bagging I.D.K.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a C.M. in the morning, and the only hesitation is complaints I read about wobbly wheels and discharge blowing through the back door (when the bagger is not attached in mulch or S.D. mode). J.B. 18- what type of engine does your $500 Toro have on it, that it get's out-classed by the $299 Honda at H.D. (B.T.W. which model is that one specifically)?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work O.P. that looks great!

Aside from technique and quality of lawn itself (I.E. let's take two identical lawns, same operator using different mowers)- what is it about the mowers themselves that makes a difference? For instance S.G. mentioned that it looks good for a 21"- so all else being equal, even just a wider cut makes a difference? Obviously stuff like the type of blades and how sharp they are does, but what about shape of the deck itself (I.E. I would suspect the deeper decks have some advantage over the shallow ones on cheaper models)? I have a feeling the cheap 3-in-1 (bag/mulch/S.D.) convertibles with the real shallow decks don't work as well when the "mulch plate" is inserted, but whether it makes a difference in S.D. or bagging I.D.K.

I'm actually thinking about picking up a C.M. in the morning, and the only hesitation is complaints I read about wobbly wheels and discharge blowing through the back door (when the bagger is not attached in mulch or S.D. mode). J.B. 18- what type of engine does your $500 Toro have on it, that it get's out-classed by the $299 Honda at H.D. (B.T.W. which model is that one specifically)?

Thanks for sharing.
thanks for the comments.

the mower itself is an old

never used the mulch option, my brother use to, but it just makes a mess. I barely fill up 1 bag if cut every week:cool2:

just recently got the blade sharpened at a local store, made a big improvement. grass seems healthier after cuts, no brown tips anymore.

and basically when I cut diagonally this week, I did 3 passes in each direction, even though the look of "stripes" is only temporary.

·
Registered
326 Posts
remember the days when we all took the time to make a yard look that good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.