from first to second year..

adforester

LawnSite Member
Well I finished my second year in the business in Massachusetts, I'm 26.

I had a few clients from my first year for mowing
and got around 9 my second year. So I had 12 my second year going. This BTW is in 2 of the richest towns in Mass! I advertise in the papers (3) and by word of mouth for mowing, cleanups, design and installations, tree work, property management. I have a nice clean well designed ad and run EVERY week.

I'm getting pounded most all mowing accounts for people wanting an hour long mowing job to be $45. So I got another mower to cut the time in half and maybe make a profit.

Anyhow, this is going to be my third year and it is really scaring me how little business i'm getting. I got lucky this year with a storm that hit so i got alot of storm cleanup, fall cleanups and summer tree and lawn installs. This year i'm trying to keep a guy on full time with me and pay all my bills for my trucks, mowers, rent, etc. etc. MAN IS IT HARD. Anyone else finding the business a bit difficult????

Roachy

LawnSite Member
I dont think I would have a guy on full time if you only have 12 lawns. Dont run yourself getting into debt either over truck or mower payments. You could probably bust out all the lawns in one day with your helper, then spend another day or two doing mulch and other jobs. Then work a part time job the other 3 days or take college classes. Take some pesticide classes so you can offer that to your services.

OP
A

adforester

LawnSite Member
ya for some reason I have a helper in the spring and in the fall works out nicely. This past fall I had 2-3 guys working for me full time.

OP
A

adforester

LawnSite Member
hahaha that was for fall cleanups, just me for lawns.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey brother I'm in the same boat as you. Its not cheap living here in mass. Me and you are on the same page with everything except I have a family to support. With no snow I've been stressed, it'll pull through, lawns are starting to show small green patches and that means $$ to follow. Keep your head up you doing just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
By the way which are the richest towns in mass?
Posted via Mobile Device

njmark84

LawnSite Member
I would hope by the third year you would have more than 12 accounts unless of course, they are big ones and profiting well from.

When I was in high school, I used to do lawns on the side and I had 4 accounts within 2 blocks of me. Could just push it to the neighbors house. Even got some extra money taking care of their pools, mail, etc when they were on vacation.