1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

From LLC to INC

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cutman2000, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages when going to INC(S-Corp) from LLC? I am sole prop. I'm mainly concerned about filing, getting more(income tax) back if possible. I am also aware of the ability to offer shares to non members if I'm INC. I have been filing(standard joint) with my wife as a sole proprietor and we have been getting earned income, but wondered if going INC would hurt us or help us.

I know this is a question for a CPA, but was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences that could help me out a little with some insight.

Thanks!

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

15 percent self employment tax.

with INC, you should be able to avoid that......IF.....IF.....you pay yourself a reasonable salary based on the job you do.

The rest of the profit will trickle down and you will report it on your personal taxes, assuming you do the s-corp. C-corp you don't want.

the profits from the business you will just pay your normal tax rate as long as you pay yourself that reasonable salary I just mentioned.