• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

front hub replacement

mike lane lawn care

LawnSite Bronze Member
ok so i have figured out that i have a front bearing going on my truck, which i am told, is a very common problem with GMC's. However, i am told by my local auto parts store that i will have to replace the entire front hub assembly which is about $190.00. is there anyway to just replace the bearing in the hub, or do i have to bite the bullet and replace the hub?

OP
mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wow....Buy a new truck and everything goes wrong. Remind me to buy a Ford when I do buy one.
i know, i've had some bad luck with this truck, but i did deat on it for the first two weeks. now that i've stopepd doing that, things are starting to show up from my abuse. but overall she runs like a top. i think my next truck will be a brand new one, no more used vehicles for me.

FearThisDeere

LawnSite Bronze Member
With a used vehicle EVERYTHING goes wrong in the forst month or two. I have always found that if it is going to go wrong, it'll happen in the first month.

Fairway Land & Lawn

LawnSite Member
For the sake of simplicity just replace the whole hub. You will be trying to chase the right size diameter bearings for days. Then the hub will have to be removed and the bearings will have to be pressed out/and back in. Not to mention, just the bearings will cost you around $65...To replace the hub is very simple. Remove wheel, brake caliper, rotor, 3 bolts to remove hub, and reverse...good luck

EMJ

LawnSite Member
another reason NOT to buy 4x4 expencive and more frequent repairs. price you pay for having to have a "macho " 4x4
the two wheel drive version has the same set up. you have to replace the whole assembly also, except it is more money