1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fruit tree pruning and lawn fertilizer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Sep 8, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.. I have 2 question here guys,

1) When are you able to prune fruit tree's? late nov, early feb?

2) If there is a fruit tree in the middle of the lawn, are you able to eat the fruit even though you fertilize the lawns?

ie) I have a customer that asked me if its okay to eat the fruits that the fruit tree has when it lands on the lawn. But suppose you fertilizer the lawns 3-5 times a year and the fruits land on the lawn, are you able to eat it without being sick?

;) ;) ;)

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Fruit trees are generally trimmed when they are dormant. for me and my area, I do them in late Jan - late Feb. As far as eating fruit from a fertilized lawn - Do you eat veggies from a garden that has been fertilized with manure? There should be no problems eating fruit that has fallen on a fertilized lawn. However, if the lawn has had a recent app of a pesticide, I would just wash the fruit of and enjoy!

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

You can prune fruit trees anytime, but if you are cutting more than one inch diameter wood the word I got from a second generation fruit peddler is at least 30 or 45 days of freezing weather, i.e. the sap is down.