Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We take care of a yard weekly, installed all new plants this past spring, laid 31 yards of mulch, and, yes taboo, it's family, so passed along my discount on materials. Got a call last Thursday asking for a bid on 2 properties in the area that she owns. One is about an acre, 1/4 of it is grass, 1/4 beds and the rest parking lot and building. Little edging, trimming, mowing and blowing the lots = $150 weekly. (2 man crew 1.5 hours at most) The second property is 2.5 acres with a retention pond, mow, edge, trim and blow the parking lot = $250/week. ( I realize I screwed this one up and underbid myself) Got a call last night, they received a bit for the second property on - $50.00 bi weekly. - I was shocked, that wouldn't even cover the cost of materials. She went on to explain that for the time being they only want the grass cut and trimmed, don't worry about the pond or blowing the lot off. I almost said a few things that would have def. gotten me fired when she asked if we would mind going out today and just mow and trim for the rate the other guys gave. Yes that's one full acre of grass to mow and trim for $50.00, complete with about 15 flowerbeds, 15 trees and a nice deep ditch running half the area to maneuver around.

It's now a few hours later, the shock is wearing off and I'm starting to feel offended.

When she calls in a week or 2 asking me to take over the property, my rates are going to double if not triple.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Don't be offended. You can't blame them for trying to save a buck. Some of my best customers started that way before coming to me after trying the "lowballer". Be cool about it, explain your costs and the fact you don't cut corners. Just wait it out. If you don't burn your bridge you will be the first they will run to when the other co "goes away".

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
We take care of a yard weekly, installed all new plants this past spring, laid 31 yards of mulch, and, yes taboo, it's family, so passed along my discount on materials. Got a call last Thursday asking for a bid on 2 properties in the area that she owns. One is about an acre, 1/4 of it is grass, 1/4 beds and the rest parking lot and building. Little edging, trimming, mowing and blowing the lots = $150 weekly. (2 man crew 1.5 hours at most) The second property is 2.5 acres with a retention pond, mow, edge, trim and blow the parking lot = $250/week. ( I realize I screwed this one up and underbid myself) Got a call last night, they received a bit for the second property on - $50.00 bi weekly. - I was shocked, that wouldn't even cover the cost of materials. She went on to explain that for the time being they only want the grass cut and trimmed, don't worry about the pond or blowing the lot off. I almost said a few things that would have def. gotten me fired when she asked if we would mind going out today and just mow and trim for the rate the other guys gave. Yes that's one full acre of grass to mow and trim for $50.00, complete with about 15 flowerbeds, 15 trees and a nice deep ditch running half the area to maneuver around.

It's now a few hours later, the shock is wearing off and I'm starting to feel offended.

When she calls in a week or 2 asking me to take over the property, my rates are going to double if not triple.
Let me get this right. She wanted you to the work for a price that someone else bid......is this right? You didn't say if she was an aunt, sister, in-law etc. not that it would matter to me, but, when the time came around for renewing her contract on the one property that you are maintaining now, I wouldn't renew it. Family or not, that's BS.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
One is about an acre, 1/4 of it is grass, 1/4 beds and the rest parking lot and building. Little edging, trimming, mowing and blowing the lots = $150 weekly. (2 man crew 1.5 hours at most)

Yes that's one full acre of grass to mow and trim for $50.00, complete with about 15 flowerbeds, 15 trees and a nice deep ditch running half the area to maneuver around.

so which is it? is there 1/4 acre to cut or 1 full acre? if she only wants the 1/4 acre cut and trimmed then 50 would be alright. no blowing or edging? hell, you should jump at that. then if she wants the other stuff done later, then you can get your price you originally bid.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A fifty might cut it in KY, but not SC, I'm thinking.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.