FS 85 weedeater wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RGK, Apr 25, 2018.

1. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

On my FS 85, I verified spark by pulling plug and grounding against case and saw spark. gas bubble pumps up and appears to be getting gas. Any ideas on what and how to check anything else?
    Thanks

2. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Gold Member

Welcome.
    Have you checked the screen (spark arrestor) on the exhaust to see if it's plugged up with carbon?

3. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

I checked it and it looks clear.

4. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

Note that it was running fine last week when I shut it off. Went to start it this week and nothing, not even trying to start. Could it be the on/off switch and if so how do I test it?

5. Wye Oak Tree

I believe the on/off switch kills the power to the spark plug. Confirm this by testing spark plug again with the switch in the on then off position.
    If your still getting spark in the on position, with the plug off take a very small amount of gas and drop it in the cylinder. Put yer plug back in and try it. If it kicks over for a few seconds, then it's likely a fuel/carburetor issue.

6. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

Pulled the plug and tried it with on/off set to O and result was no spark, set it to 1 and it sparked. I then added a little gas to cylinder and tried it and no luck.

7. Wye Oak Tree

Not even a pop? I guess your switch is good though.
    Could be exhaust port is plugged up, but that wouldn't happen all of a sudden. Maybe repost this later or tomorrow and someone else can give advice Thumbs Up

8. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

Thanks anyway

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the plug wet or bone dry when ya first pull it? Wet= flooded Dry= not gettin gas. Could be a bad plug.

Breezmeister likes this.
  10. RGK

RGK LawnSite Member

not sure at this point since I've added gas to the cylinder, I'll let it dry out and try it?