Fuel Consumption 26hp Kawasaki

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm sure you're right. I remember looking at a Ferris IS2000 or IS2100 that was a 2012 model and it had the FX730 with the 26hp label on it. I wasn't sure when they started using the J1995 rating on them.

I saw several new on the floor Scag and Exmark top of the line units (Lazer X and S and TT/Cheetah/TC) as late as mid 2014 with the old rating labels on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
I agree. I've got a 26.5 (liquid cooled) Kawi that only uses about 1 gal per hour when using to cut weekly growth. (This is on a 1400 lb machine including my weight).

Correction.
It's been 3 or 4 years since I checked the fuel consumption on my mower. After making this post and thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the gal/hr was closer to 1.25.

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I saw several new on the floor Scag and Exmark top of the line units (Lazer X and S and TT/Cheetah/TC) as late as mid 2014 with the old rating labels on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

You may have already seen this, but any engine manufacturer that utilizes the SAE J1940 rating standards as of October 18, 2013, must follow the requirements that their engine produces 95% of the labeled power.

This means the new Vanguard 37 hp EFI must produce at least 35.15 hp. I think it will more than likely produce higher, but must definitely produce this amount because of Briggs noting they use the SAE J1940 rating standard.

http://todaysmower.com/2013/revised-2014-tractor-engine-rating-standards/

OP
G

GallucciLandscaping

LawnSite Member
Had my guys double check this machine again today. No errors in the calculations. 4.6 machine hours today with 2.1 gal of fuel used to fill up at the end of the day. Today's usage was a mixture or weekly cutting (discharge and bagging) as well as leaf clean up (grinding and vac)

Any ideas why is burning through so much fuel

Ready to Mow

LawnSite Gold Member
Had my guys double check this machine again today. No errors in the calculations. 4.6 machine hours today with 2.1 gal of fuel used to fill up at the end of the day. Today's usage was a mixture or weekly cutting (discharge and bagging) as well as leaf clean up (grinding and vac)

Any ideas why is burning through so much fuel

In the beginning of your thread you said it was burning 2 gallons an hour, now here it is burning less than half a gallon an hour. That's pretty good fuel consumption. My FX481 burns about 1 gallon an hour.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
You may have already seen this, but any engine manufacturer that utilizes the SAE J1940 rating standards as of October 18, 2013, must follow the requirements that their engine produces 95% of the labeled power.

This means the new Vanguard 37 hp EFI must produce at least 35.15 hp. I think it will more than likely produce higher, but must definitely produce this amount because of Briggs noting they use the SAE J1940 rating standard.

http://todaysmower.com/2013/revised-2014-tractor-engine-rating-standards/

Yeah, and that's good that they are at least doing that, but it'd be really nice if everyone in the small engine industry was on the same page and used the same exact rating system to be able to compare apples to apples any time. This multi rating system looks to me to be another pathway to start fudging the numbers again sometime down the road. I hope not, but it looks that way to me.

StanWilhite

LawnSite Silver Member
In the beginning of your thread you said it was burning 2 gallons an hour, now here it is burning less than half a gallon an hour. That's pretty good fuel consumption. My FX481 burns about 1 gallon an hour.

Think maybe you got your equation upside down.....:confused:
:)

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic

What you have here is a phenomenon known as reverse division, I do things backwards myself occasionally.

Top Forums