1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Starvation Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PerennialSuccess, Aug 2, 2006.

1. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

Alright guys, here's a problem for you. I have a 2001 Bunton 61" Hydro W/B with a 18hp B/S Vanguard. I had a problem with it stalling last week, and I would let it rest and it would run again for a minute or two and stall again. Well while it was down I changed all the fluids/filters, and cleaned the carb and fuel accelerator (assuming thats what it is, pre-carburetor diaphragm after the fuel filter). Well when it sputters for the 30 seconds before it finally stalls, you can see the fuel filter emptying and thats it. I am thinking either a vacuum problem or maybe fuel tank debris?

P.S. Also, I noticed that after I cleaned/changed everything, it ran for a good hour or so and then I hit some good bumps and all the problems came back again.

Thanks for any help you are able to give me, I really appreciate it.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Flush your gas tank and fuel lines. You have trash in the gas tank I bet. Had a mower in last week that kept dieing like this and it was a foil top off a can of gas treatment that had fallen in the tank when the treatment was added. It was blocking the fuel hose. I see leaves and grass in fuel tanks all the time.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check your fuel cap also and make sure it's venting properly.