1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Surcharge Examples

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Monty5186, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Monty5186

Monty5186 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I have decided to implement a fuel surcharge this year for the obvious reasons. I am however, unsure as to how I will be implementing this clause. I would appreciate some examples and advice from others as to how they implement their surcharges to get idea of what would be best for my business.

I know there are a lot of forums about whether or not charge a fuel surcharge, I am simply looking for various ways to determine how to calculate a surcharge that would both ensure my customers understanding and the protection of my bottom line.

Thank you all.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure I'll get call a scrub or some will disagree with me but what I did last year was if gas was $4 a gallon or higher for 2 weeks or more out of the month I charged an extra $2 a month.

this season I'm doing the same with one addition. if it reaches $5 a gallon for 2 weeks or more out of the month I charge an extra $3 a month.

this way if gas doesn't reach those amounts my clients don't pay any more than last season.

3. rollman

rollman LawnSite Member
    from Bear DE

Do you bill this as a surcharge listed separate or include it in the price ?

4. Monty5186

Monty5186 LawnSite Member

Does anyone from CT have any advice?

Thanks

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

surcharge listed separately.