1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fuel Transfer Pump Advice needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HayBay, Aug 25, 2004.

1. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am getting a 200 Gallon fuel tank made up for the House.

1 side will be Gasoline
    2nd side will be Diesel.

The Tank Manufacturer mentioned I should look around for a better price on a manual hand pump. He wants $400. Canadian.
    I need 2 of them.

My question is, what brand name do you guys use ,how much did it cost, good quality or not, do you have a water seperator and filter attached to the pump?

I am looking at the Fill-Rite FR1152 Hand Pump at the moment, I just can't find a retailer in my area yet.

Also, is there a trick when pumping the hand pump and knowing when the truck is full of fuel?

Getting as close to the pump with the truck is my only idea.
    I don't have the budget for the electric pump yet.

I also heard the TSC has pumps but I have not been there yet to look.
    Thanks.

2. Keith82

Keith82 LawnSite Member

Look at Northern online. I have a 12VDC and a hand pump that I use with Diesel. You will eventually have con densation build up if the tank is located outside. You definately need to run a seperator and filter setup as injection pumps and injectors are very expensive to repair.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You will probably need to pour a pad with retention wall and get permits for above ground fuel storage.

Oldtimer

4. HayBay

from Ontario

Oldtimer, I know the tank is not a problem without a dyke, it has leak viewing compartments under both of the tank and another inbetween the diesel and gas compartments as well as a fill overflow containment type lid. There is a maximum amount of fuel you can store here on your property, I know I am way under, i think its 2500 litres or less. Im rural.

You know of a good pump Oldtimer?

Keith82, I will look into Northern Tool prices thanks. They get me on the shipping to Canada , thats the problem with purchasing there.

5. HayBay

from Ontario

This is what I picked up.

frhandpump.jpg