Fuel use during break in

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
Do you guys think a new mower or even a new engine uses more gas during its break-in period? How long do you think it takes for a new mower/engine to be broken in?

Thank you for any info and opinions!

Dan--

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Never noticed any of mine using more or less fuel during break-in, though I suppose that's possible. many maun's consider an engine to be broken in at approximately 8-10 hours (why they call for the first oil change then BTW), but most aren't really broken in well until around 100 hours of use.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
Never noticed any of mine using more or less fuel during break-in, though I suppose that's possible. many maun's consider an engine to be broken in at approximately 8-10 hours (why they call for the first oil change then BTW), but most aren't really broken in well until around 100 hours of use.
Thanks for your input. I think 100 hours is good measure for an engine to be fully broken in

weve

LawnSite Senior Member
I purchased a Hustler Super Z with Kohler ECV860 engine last year. I checked fuel usage a couple of times. It was using 1.5 to 1.6 gallons per hour. I checked again a few weeks ago at over 300 hours. Usage was 1.29 gallons per hour.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
I purchased a Hustler Super Z with Kohler ECV860 engine last year. I checked fuel usage a couple of times. It was using 1.5 to 1.6 gallons per hour. I checked again a few weeks ago at over 300 hours. Usage was 1.29 gallons per hour.
Thank you for your input. I got a new Gravely this year and it used about five gallons in its first four hours of use. The engine wasn't working hard at all. I was merely trimming the heads off of weeds. When new, I think there's more fiction going on than we think, especially between the rings and cylinder walls. Your gas usage sounds like what I'd expect from a new engine. My engine is only at 14 hours now, so it has a ways to go before fully broken in.

usdiver63

LawnSite Member
There will be slightly more fuel used during the break in period. This is due to the piston rings starting to properly seat themselves against the cylinder wall. Once the rings and the cylinder wall have become properly seated you will have an even usage of fuel.

ztman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought a new TCII this spring, 61" deck, 26 efi kawi. First ten hours was less that a gph. Now up to around 1.6 gph

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
oil, maybe. gas, no.

You're broken in somewhere around 10 hours, in fact 80% of your break in is done within the 1st hour.

OP
D

danell10

LawnSite Senior Member
There will be slightly more fuel used during the break in period. This is due to the piston rings starting to properly seat themselves against the cylinder wall. Once the rings and the cylinder wall have become properly seated you will have an even usage of fuel.
Thanks for your input. That's what I thought.