Full GC Hopper?

Arcane

LawnSite Member
I just bought a Scag GC-CS, the clamshell, for my Cheetah. I have a lot of property to mow, and it only takes 2 or 4 passes to completely fill the hopper and the chute and the blower. Then its 10 minutes unhooking everything and fishing out the clogged grass. H

My question: how can I tell when the hopper/chute/blower is getting full, so that I don't get to the point of clogging? One answer: when I see that the CS isn't picking up grass, but that's too late.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
If they are close enough to touch from the seat some guys just reach back now and then and check like that.

The sound of the blower will also change pitch as the catcher fills up, with some experience you can use that as an indicator.

OP
A

Arcane

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. I can reach over and determine whether material is moving in the chute. If the sound changes it's already clogged. I also tried running with the hopper door open, to let the clippings fall. Wracked the hopper, left lumps everywhere. But remember, I am cutting tall grass in a rough field, not a lawn. I just wish that there was a way to switch off the belt-driven blower.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Thanks for the response. I can reach over and determine whether material is moving in the chute. If the sound changes it's already clogged. I also tried running with the hopper door open, to let the clippings fall. Wracked the hopper, left lumps everywhere. But remember, I am cutting tall grass in a rough field, not a lawn. I just wish that there was a way to switch off the belt-driven blower.
I wonder if you could just replace the pipe with a discharge chute.

I swear I saw a kid mowing the church like that on Fri, I was about a hundred yards away though. He had bags on the back and it looked like a blower was attached too, but the pipe was removed.