Full service vs mow and go for noobie

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Scagget123, Feb 2, 2019.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

looks pretty good doesn't it?

hort101 likes this.
  2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

You will need hedge trimmer, and polesaw for sure. They have some dead palm fronds hanging that will need trimming.
    If they don't want chemicals, looks like hand weeding each week. Just give each bed a quick go over. Keep up on the weeds and they can be controlled.

3. Scagget123

Scagget123 LawnSite Member

I just don't want to get myself in a situation where I get screwed financially. I'm gonna go talk to them and get a full scope of everything.

Steve likes this.
  4. Mow-Daddy.com

Perfect, if they can tell you what is expected, and your confident you can meet their expectations then go for it.
    If your unsure after talking with them, then be honest, tell them your new to this type of work. Let them know your gaining experience and would love to to tackle everything next season. But may have to sub out somethings yet this year. Or just pass on it.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Scagget123

The mowing and hedge trimming won't be too bad. It's the weeding I think will eat up time. They have a ladder so we can a dress the palm trees when we get to it. But do you think 200$ a month is too cheap?

6. Mow-Daddy.com

Not sure on FL prices, I'm based in MN so my prices would definitely be higher than that.
    Although right now I'm in Lake Buena Vista just south of you.

7. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

That's a nice landscape. For a solo you're going to spend a big percentage of your hours on this site, which is fine just know there will be a hole in your schedule if something goes wrong.

I typically don't advertise shrub trimming and reluctantly accept the work from mowing customers only. Holding trimmers above my shoulders for a half hour at a time is not my forte and not my favorite way to spend the day.

Since the place in the photos is so well maintained they probably understand the cost in keeping it up. Bid higher than you think and don't be afraid to make an adjustment in a few months if needed (give them advance notice and specific reasons if the price needs to be increased)

hort101 likes this.
  8. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

By the looks of the property I can't see why they would be looking for another LCO to do this property. Are they looking for a new guy? How did you get involved? Are you undercutting another LCO? If the home owner is looking for the cheaper guy and they are that picky then I would pass. You will spend more time than what it is worth. I don't think they will pay $200.00 a month either! If you don't meet there expectations you will look bad. Do a more beat up property and you will be a hero!

zlandman likes this.
  9. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Post an aerial photo of the property, front and back

10. Scagget123

The current company went more commercial, they grew too fast and the guy working got aggressive with the owner. He cut things he shouldn't have cut round up some roses etc, other dumb stuff

hort101 likes this.