Full service vs mow and go for noobie

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Scagget123, Feb 2, 2019.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Sounds like a picky customer. Make sure you spell out in your contract exactly what you plan on doing and what your not covering in your monthly price. If you just say full service at $xxx. When a fungus outbreak happens or a storm comes through and drops half a tree out back you don't want to be doing that work for the same monthly price that month.

Spartan57, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Scagget123

Scagget123 LawnSite Member

Well I gave her an estimate. It covered lawn mow, weed, edge, blow, round up, pulling weeds ,Palm tree trimming, crape myrtle trimming, all pruning , hedge trimming and clean up and debris removal. I was told 375$ per month by a few people. I told her 350$ and said it was way over normal going rate. Everything but spraying fertilizer. Which another company does. I'm glad I didn't get the account but was I too crazy with the price?

3. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Count your blessings and focus on future customers. That's a fair price for a legitimate business with real overhead costs which is where you want to be on pricing because you want to be a legitimate business.
    You dont get em all. Soon enough you'll be bidding the "I dont want to do it price" and getting the job anyway.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  4. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need more experience. Worst case, screw up the job and get a bad reputation.

5. OP
    OP
    Scagget123

Scagget123 LawnSite Member

It's not experience. I can trim for hours. I just don't have a trailer and pole saw and ladder. It's just a lack of tools that makes it take longer to do the job for me. But yeah I'd hate to screw it up this early in my career

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, the place is well taken care of but there is work to be done. Trimming bushes,light weeding, normal maintenance, you can’t see fully in pics but it’s there

OP don’t worry you’ll get the tools soon enough. I buy a lot used, in all conditions

7. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Getting tools is the easy part. Once you land the work you can always get the tools to complete. I wouldn't worry to much starting out if I didn't have the best tool for the job. Ladder you say grab some trash cans and a board now you have scaffoldings. Like anything you can easily buy the tools once you sell the jobs for it.

Guy I know sold a bunch of tractor work before he even bought a tractor. Used the deposit money to fund the tractor and has been doing fine ever since.

Doc8406 and That Guy Gary like this.
  8. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Trash cans and a board for scaffolding. Not unless disability insurance is paid up! LOL

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

For a start up solo guy. I say go for it but be safe!

zlandman likes this.
  10. jetson

jetson LawnSite Member

I don’t care what u show up at my house with.. quality is all that matters.. and communication.. but nice work on quality.. it will get u more yards than anything else..