1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fully electronic record keeping

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tebletlawns, Oct 7, 2018.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kansas City

Who out there has gone fully digital for chemical tracking with SAP? We are required to provide a statement of service to the client in KS and I'm trying to find the best/easiest way completely through SAP. I have to be able to print a copy for state if asked.

I'm looking at an iPad pro 1st gen with the keyboard. Does anyone use this one still and do you see any reason to upgrade to the new version? It's like a $400 difference. I carry my laptop in the truck but I use the app on my phone for actual work.

2. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

So I got it all figured out. But is anyone else fully electronic?

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

What was your solution?

We are trying to do full electronic with CLIP but I have to manually enter too much information, I'm planning to look over other programs and packages this Winter.

I really like the 11" Lenovo Ideapads. They are a bit sluggish with Win10 on them but I replaced it with Linux Mint and it runs great. Regular price on them is $199 but they go on sale frequently for $149 and sometimes less when a new model comes out.

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I was shocked to find that in Idaho there is no requirement to be able to provide hard copy if requested. Our Dept of Ag is pretty active and has a lot of full time field investigators. If you do apps full time you're very likely to be subjected to a fitness inspection at some point while working.

To wrap up the inspection when I was stopped this year the investigator came to the office to review my documentation for the application I was making at the time. Everything was there, but we had difficulty finding a way to print some of it, like weather data and the notes on who recommended the application.

He simply noted something like "Applicator's electronic documentation is complete and accurate but not all of it translates to hard copy."

And that was it, no demand to change anything! :cool:

5. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

I always carry a laptop for adding bids and adding jobs and what not to our schedule. But us my phone or an old tablet for actually doing the daily jobs. The chemical tracking that SAP can do on its own has always worked for our MO requirements.They are really pretty easy to get by, probably too easy. Not enough inspectors really. KS is quit a bit more proactive and want more details so I had to figure out a new system after 6 years of doing it one way. I basically had to create a custom form for each application. Set it to so it has to be filled it out when completing each job. Once its filled out, it automatically sends an internal email with a copy, a copy to the client, and is also in the clients timeline. I honestly just figured it all out and finished up my first one yesterday. It's going to be really nice moving forward. I picked up and ipad. They are on sale for 4.17 a month for 24 months at sprint. Already have the data plan so I'm good there. I ordered a lockable RAM mount so I can just keep it up in the truck, and ordered a wireless keyboard to use fill out the form. I tried to set up the form so I only have actually fill out as little as possible in the field.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

Each possible product that may be used on that round, along with mix rates and concentrations are all already filled out and all I have to do is click the checkbox for what I used, fill out amounts used (which it tells me how many pounds or gallons I need to use when I start the job), temp and wind, and that's about it. It auto fills clients name, addy, turf sqft, and some other stuff. It's literally taken me all season to figure out how to do this they way I want/need to to work.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. Andrew Brockman

Andrew Brockman LawnSite Member

How are you including the chemical tracking info on the client invoice in SA? I am trying to go totally paperless, but a lot of info does not print on invoice.

Honestly, I’m about to give up and move to RealGreen.

8. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

I don't know if you can put the info on the invoice. I had to create a form with all the info I wanted. It is auto emailed to the client at the end of each job. I also set it up to email that form to myself so I can save it and print it off anytime I may need to. The email also includes instructions for the application ie do or don't water. Then they get an invoice later.

If you're using SA, watch that forms webinar. It took me a while to figure or all out. But now that I've got it, it's going to be super easy.

If you want to see a copy of the form, pm me your email and I'll try to send it

hort101 likes this.
  9. tebletlawns

Male, from Kansas City

At this point, I don't think I will even use the chemical tracking reports from SA. I will be using my forms for my records.

Obviously chemical tracking does more than just create reports though.

10. Andrew Brockman

Andrew Brockman LawnSite Member

Yup, SA is just too complicated, yet at every turn there is something lacking in implementation. Good ideas for sure, but lacking in follow through to me. Just my opinion. I just signed up, but am pulling the plug tomorrow. I don’t want to get to “invested” in SA.