1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Fully removing Zoysia from lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by StripeLife, May 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. StripeLife

StripeLife LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has a lawn full of about 75% Zoysia and the rest is 25% perennial Rye and weeds (Zone 6). He wants all of the lawn to be 100% fescue blend. I planned on spraying the whole lawn with some round up quickpro then aerating and seeding followed by a starter fert app. I have no clue if this will fully kill all the Zoysia as I've heard horror stories of it coming back. Another idea I had was to use a sod cutter and take up as much as possible but I don't think I'll be able to get all the deep roots of the Zoysia. Any ideas on how to effectively get rid of this stuff?

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Not a chem guy so take this with a grain of salt.

We wanted a fescue lawn but had zoysia. Sprayed the lawn with roundup, waited 2 weeks, sprayed again, waited 2 weeks and sprayed a third time. Got a pretty good kill.

Tenacity will kill zoysia in fescue. Just have to be careful to not use too heavy of a concentration.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Flybywire, Crazy 4 grass and sjessen like this.
  4. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Yeah, gly it all. I mean soak it. Its tough like bermuda. Wait to see what comes back and hit it again and you should be fine to do whatever.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be ready to pull any remaining zoysia by hand if it comes up with the seed.

sjessen likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i had zoysia on part of my st augustine lawn. i sprayed it once and it never came back. it's been like 5 years not any zoysia came back at all.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  7. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Gold Member

Yes! This is spot on. Just keep spraying and waiting to ensure its completely gone.

sjessen likes this.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Pylex + Prograss or Tenacity + Prograss if it comes back. Pylex or Tenacity + Glyphosate + Sethoxydim as the kill before re seeding

sjessen and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia is rather intolerant of Prograss or Ethofumesate. Effect does not happen right away. Read the label. Says do not use on Zoysia. Why? Because it damages the Zoysia severely.

sjessen likes this.
  10. nickg13

nickg13 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Number of glypho applications depends on how good your coverage is. I usually do it in one. 3-5 days between is enough.

It's important to remember glyphosate is effective only on actively growing plants, so be sure to water the zoysia as if you want it to grow: feeding it is leading it to death.