1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

fun, fun, fun

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fblandscape, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. fblandscape

    fblandscape Banned
    Messages: 776

    This is what we now have to deal with in NYS for our pesticide certifications. The following is taken directly out of "The Grapevine" which is the official publication of the New York State Turf and Landscape Association. I would NOT want to have been Tom DeChillo at the annual conference in White Plains this year.

    "Pesticide applicators pay various fees to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation for applicator examinations, permits, and business registrations. In 2003 the DEC will be charging significantly more than they have in the past. The fee for taking ther certification exam (this is the exam one must pass in NY state before you can legally apply restricted pesticides) will increase from $10 to $50 and the certification will be good for 5 years instead of 6 years. I"n addition to the basic exam, applicators must be certified in specific categories that relate to the pesticides they want to apply. For instance, most landscape maintenance companies would need to have someone certified in 3A, which covers ornamentals and turf. These commercial applicators used to pay $15 for every category they were certified in, every 3 years. Now they must pay $375 for their first category and $125 for each additional category, every 5 years. Businesses also must pay a registration fee of $450 every 3 years, an increase from the old $50 annual fee. The cost of commercial permits will increase from $50 to $300.

    This new fee structure will make for hefty charges to many landscape maintenance businesses. In defense of the new charges, Tom Lynch, Supervisor Pesticide Compliance Section of NYS DEC, says they are long overdue. The new fees are comparable to fees in surrounding states and help support pesticide education and regulation.

    What does this mean for the homeowner? Landscape businesses that apply pesticides will have to recover these costs from their customers. They may also cut the fees they pay by being more judicious in how many and which staff they sponsor for commercial applicator certification.
  2. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969

    Poor New Yorkers Having to pay those high high prices. Below is a paste and copy of the yearly Florida License fees.

    Pest Control Section Fee Schedule
    (Valid as of May 1, 2002, Subject to Change, Please see notes below)

    Type of Document Fee Amount


    Pest Control Business License Fees (How to Apply)
    Regular Issuance Fee - Initial License $ 250.00
    Change of Business Location Address $ 25.00
    Change of Business Name $ 25.00
    Change of Business Ownership $ 250.00
    Annual License Renewal $ 250.00
    Late License Renewal Fee $ 50.00
    Expedite Fee $ 50.00

    Pest Control Identification Card Fees (How to Apply)
    Regular Issuance Fee - Initial ID Card $ 10.00
    Change of Business Location Address ID Card $ 10.00
    Change of Business Name ID Card $ 10.00
    Change of Business Ownership ID Card $ 10.00
    Annual ID Card Renewal Fee $ 10.00

    Pest Control Operator's (PCO) Certificate Fees (How to Apply)
    Regular Issuance Fee - Initial Certificate $ 150.00
    Late Issuance Application Fee $ 50.00
    Annual Certificate Renewal Fee $ 150.00
    Late Certificate Renewal Fee $ 50.00

    Emergency Pest Control Certificate Fees (How to Apply)
    Initial Thirty (30) Day Emergency Certificate $ 50.00
    Additional Thirty (30) Day Emergency Certificate $ 50.00

    Special Identification (SPID) Card Fees (How to Apply)
    Regular Issuance Fee - Initial Special ID Card $ 100.00
    Late Issuance Application Fee $ 25.00
    Annual Special ID Card Renewal Fee $ 100.00
    Late Special ID Card Renewal Fee $ 25.00

    PCO & SPID Examination Fees (How to Apply)
    Application for PCO Certificate Examination per Category $ 225.00
    Application for Special ID Card Examination $ 200.00
    Optional CEU Certificate Renewal by Exam Fee $ 225.00
  3. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969

    Oh yes I forgot to paste and copy certification test requirements. BTW 50% pass the test and only 60% of those taking the test have taken it at least once before


    The certified operator must be certified in the category (or categories) in which the business wishes to operate, and whose primary occupation is in the pest control business, and who is employed on a full-time basis by the licensed firm. Presently, the four categories available are General Household and Rodent Control, Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control, Termite and Other Wood Destroying Organisms Pest Control, and Fumigation.

    Pest control operator's certificates are issued to persons who pass the written examination(s) given by this agency and who are not minors. Qualifications for examination can be met by experience or education plus experience.

    Those qualifying by experience must document high school education or equivalency and three years verified experience as a service employee of a licensee who performs pest control in the category or categories in which certification is desired, at least one year of which experience must have been under a licensee in this state immediately preceding application for examination.

    Those qualifying through education may qualify with a degree and 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours advanced training or a major in entomology, botany, agronomy, or horticulture from a recognized college or university. You may also qualify without a degree, provided you have 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours advanced training in the above fields of study. Those qualifying through education must also document one year of service employment as a service employee of a licensee in this state that performs pest control in the requested category or categories or be a graduate from an entomology program at a public university in this state that specializes in urban pest management which includes practical pest management experience.

    If the training is in entomology, the applicant is qualified for examination in all categories. If the training is in horticulture, botany, or agronomy, the applicant is qualified for the examination only in the category of lawn and ornamental pest control.

    The examination fee is TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS U.S. ($225.00) PER CATEGORY.

    An examination application and the instructions for its completion are available in Adobe Acrobat® file format for downloading by <clicking here>, or you may contact us at the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control, 1203 Governors Square Boulevard, Suite 300, Tallahassee, Florida, 32301 -- (850) 921-4177.
  4. Kent Lawns

    Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 870

    I LOVE IT!

    Helps keep the little guys out, or at least thinking twice before offering spraying service.

    Should help out weeding some of the lower echelon competitors.
  5. Russ

    Russ LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 540

    I'll bet the guys in Fla. don't LOVE IT.

    I do understand why the "bug capital of the U.S." would have the educational and experience requirements, but I wonder how they justify the fee structure. Do the fees support all of the overhead associated with the administration of the educational and enforcement divisions? Are other state licenses that expensive to obtain & maintain? We pay $30.00 a year for a Business license and $30.00 a year for an Applicator license. There is no fee for testing if done at Purdue and off site testing is only about $45.00. The Office of the Indiana State Chemist administers our license with the help of our land grant university,Purdue
  6. GarPA

    GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Messages: 2,585

    well now I just found a reason to like Pennsylvania
  7. ProMo

    ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,468

    seems impossible for me to get the 3 years work experience required by Fl. I have been in biz for over 10 years and cant just stop to go work for someone else, I was told that I could find someone that will let me work under there lic but thats not happening around here no one is willing to help me out.
  8. KenH

    KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,622

    Its only a matter of time........:(
  9. Russ

    Russ LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 540

    Under Fla. law can your company hire a licensed applicator and then qualify for a Pest license? Could you then meet your experience requirements working for your own company?
  10. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    Help comes at a price. No one in there right mind is going to give away anything. I had to hire a CPO and apply for a license under their ticket. I have never worked for an other pest control company only my own. I also went back to Night college and got a degree at the same time. I was lucky to have a college that offered Golf Course Management in my area. That College degree also let me sit for the irrigation test and commercial landscape contractor test.


    I love it also. Truth be known I just finished getting all my tickets in Dec 2002. I wanted them bad. I am the only guy in the county with pest, irrigation and commercial Landscape lic. Other have one of the other but no one has all except me. That keeps the 1975 Ford Pinto and 21" Murry busy.

    BTW FYI 5 years ago I was a MR. MOM, part time pin money, retiree doing 20 lawns a week. "DIVORCE" need I say more. Oh BTW I am 62 years old. If I can do it so can you. You just have to want it bad enough.

Share This Page