Fungus activity 2019

lawn king

LawnSite Silver Member
This has been a bad year for disease in Massachusetts. I rarely have fungus issues in my lawns, this year being the exception! We has the usual early summer red thread here and there, but there has also been a lot of dollar spot, leaf spot and some brown patch as well. Record spring rainfall and record july heat made conditions prime for disease breakout!

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I have seen some fungus also, mostly improper watering and dull cuts, some do everything right and are still getting a bit of dollarspot but im behind this year so im sure the lawns are hungry. all I can say is thank god its almost over, temps are changing and it should clean it up. unless someone mentions it or its a extremely nice account fungicide stays on the truck from here on out.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Sigh. For the first time I had major dollarspot on my lawn. I think this is because I overseeded with a lawn mixture from my fert dealer years ago--it contained some Boreal fine fescue. Probably low in disease resistance.
Boreal is included in many mixtures for shade adaptation--probably helps to sell it. It is an old-fashioned non-disease resistant variety. It was fine until the hot humid weather this year.
I am reseeding the spots--recovering--but slowly. Using Scotts "Sun and Shade". Unfortunately, this Scotts mixture contains "Wendy Jean" fine fescue. Also a very old non-improved variety. I could find almost no data on Wendy Jean as to its quality, NTEP ratings or disease resistance.

Last edited:

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Sigh. For the first time I had major dollarspot on my lawn. I think this is because I overseeded with a lawn mixture from my fert dealer years ago--it contained some Boreal fine fescue. Probably low in disease resistance.
Boreal is included in many mixtures for shade adaptation--probably helps to sell it. It is an old-fashioned non-disease resistant variety. It was fine until the hot humid weather this year.
I am reseeding the spots--recovering--but slowly. Using Scotts "Sun and Shade". Unfortunately, this Scotts mixture contains "Wendy Jean" fine fescue. Also a very old non-improved variety. I could find almost no data on Wendy Jean as to its quality, NTEP ratings or disease resistance.
I have had good results reseeding a fungus patch with that mix
Not sure which variety in it has a wide blade but it seems to be doing ok where every year has been a problem before

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Too late to add to above--a few minutes ago I found a California study which had Wendy Jean (strong creeping red fescue) rated as fourth out of about 50 varieties.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Gold Member
Unless the Boreal is a large percentage of your turf, it may have been just favorable weather conditions that caused the dollar spot damage, or maybe the other varieties in the mix were week also. After all, even the most "resistant" varieties can still be damaged by fungus.