1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fungus contagious?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Littleriver1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers said he has a fungus that is contagious and he wants me to clean my mowers before and after I cut his grass. Should I do it or not?

Bill

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Most fungi is spread by spores that can and will attatch to your mowers.

Cleaning between accounts is a good idea if you do not want to spread the disease.

3. Littleriver1

Scott, How many a day do you clean your mowers?
    Bill

4. Green Pastures

I don't clean my mowers every day.

I have recently had a customer with brown patch in his lawn though and I made sure I only used one push mower on his lawn till I got the BP taken care of.

I do clean out my decks on all my mowers when I change the blades though. Every 8-10 hours.

5. Littleriver1

Scott, What do you clean your decks with? Just water or do you use a cleaning agent? or are you saying you just clean what grass you can as you change your blades. because I also clean my mowers when I change blades and I always change blades before I cut this customers lawn.
    Bill

6. Green Pastures

When I had the fungi problem I sprayed the deck with a diluted bleach solution and rinsed it off 5 minutes or so later.

No scientist here, just not to much bleach wont kill.

With no fungi problem I just scrape out the grass, if it's really stuck I'll powerwash the underside of the deck.