1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fungus growing on mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Jul 4, 2001.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I have noticed that some of my mulch installation have a dark grey or bright orange fungus growning. Some of the beds are well watered and some recieve very little water. All of the mulch that i use seems to be a quality product-is it because it was not composted correctly? Thanks for any info and happy 4th.

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Ive noticed it too on some of my mulch jobs also. I just removed it with a shovel and replaced it with new mulch in that area and it never came back. I dont know what caused it maybe its just a Virginia thing, who knows???

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO I would question the quality. Or check the plants to see if they are the ones carrying the fungus...

4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

5. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Island Lawn,
    Thats it. Thanks for the info.

6. Island Lawn

Just another useful tidbit I picked up here at Lawnsite.
    I think we can thank Kirby'slawn for that one.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Not me, can't take credit, Jim gave us that info in the above linked thread.

9. Island Lawn

Sorry about the misquote.:eek:

10. JimsLandscaping

JimsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I'm from Illinois and i have the same problem but mine isn't bright orange but it only seems to grow when the mulch is put down heavy maby cause it is hotter under a thickerl ayer of mulch than when u put it down thin it doesn't seem like the fungus grows but u got me confused to?