1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fungus? What should I use?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Babaganoosh, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

I renovated the yard with a slit seeder approx 4 weeks ago and have had germination and growth for around 24 days. TTTF and KBG mix from Site One. Used starter fert. These areas get a lot of sun as well. I've cut back watering a lot in the last week due to rain and in order to stimulate root growth. Been mowing to 2.5 inches every 4 to 5 days recently because it's growing fast. It's been unseasonably warm and rainy here in NJ lately.

I've got the ability to spot or broadcast spray. I've got a bunch of these areas popping up. The grass is sticky and black/grey in these areas. Any ideas as to exactly what it is and how to deal with it? Are those areas toast?

20171011_162629.jpg

20171011_162643.jpg

20171011_162646.jpg

2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like pythium blight. You can try fungicides until the weather changes or just wait until the weather changes and reseed those spots. In the mean time cut back on your watering and don’t let the grass go to bed wet.

Grassholes and hort101 like this.
  3. KerbDMK

Any spot that pythium hits is “toast” and seedlings are most susceptible to it. I don’t know what fungicide would work best, any might help, but I just wait for the weather to change and reseed. It’s getting late in the season though, maybe dormant seeding is possible in your area, or use perennial rye or fescue for quick germination.

4. Babaganoosh

Yeah that sort of sucks. I'll probably go with a dormant seeding.

The weather has been nuts this fall. Wet warm and humid. Nothing has dried out in the past 2 to 3 weeks. It's going to be 80 again on Saturday.

Not sure if it's any correlation but it seems like this took hold where the squirrels were burying acorns in a lot of the affected areas. Coincidence? Dunno.

Thanks for the information.

5. KerbDMK

Yes, warm and wet nights are what cause it. Pythium is actually one of the three common “dampening off” funguses. It’s in the soil just about everywhere and just waits for the correct conditions to do its dirty job. I suppose squirrels could possibly spread it, they dig all over the place.

I hope the weather changes for you soon.

6. Babaganoosh

Took a better look at the blighted spots yesterday. Almost every one had squirrel activity in it. Interesting for sure.