Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first lawn of the day. Driveway is straight with loop at the top. The entire driveway has a slight uphill incline. I usually drive up and around the loop with truck facing downhill. I then back up as far as I can so that when I drop the ramp, truck faces down hill and I'm out of everyones way. I have a 2002 Silverado, shortbed 4 X 4, and a 14foot trailer.

So, I weed whack first and come back to unload the Z steer (LazerHP) from the trailer like I've done at least 40 times from this same spot. Drop ramp. Climb on mower and let warm up a few minutes. Start to back up and off trailer when I get the wierd sensation like the trailer is moving....OH CRAP! It is moving :blob3: When the mower got past the axle of the trailer the combined weight of me, and the mower (with full tanks) lifted the rear of the truck just enough to let the truck and trailer start sliding down the hill (driveway is oil and stone with lots of stone) So what to do? I pulled the mower up but the truck kept sliding so I threw the brake on the mower and jumped off the trailer in hopes of getting into the truck before it picked up any more speed as it continued sliding down the hill.

It's important to note that I am 46 and a "little" over weight. The laws of physics did extend themselves to even me when I jumped as I noted that the weight I am carrying was more than the braking action that I was trying to execute. So, looking Cartman from Southpark I did the only thing I could do as soon as I jumped off the trailer....fell and rolled looking like a fat white snowball rolling along side my sliding truck and trailer. All I could think of was "they are going to find me underneath the truck and wonder what the heck happened." When I came to a stop so had the truck. Just by me jumping off the trailer, the trucks own weight came back into play and stopped it from sliding.

I got up, brushed myself off, had a good laugh, learned a lesson about weight distribution and went back to work. If someone had a video camera, it would have made a great shot.

·
Banned
246 Posts
I have a 2002 Silverado, shortbed 4 X 4, and a 14foot trailer.
You picked up the ass end of that truck, with it being hooked to a 14 foot tandam axle trailer, :dizzy: Something about this story makes no sence at all . I know its a short bed but still i have never seen a 14ftr be a single axle , Plus the truck is sitting on a hill and it has 4wd . kick that baby in 4wd next time and leave it in gear or park wich ever, I never unload sitting on a hill or much of one and if i do i always chalk the trailer tire's , I dunno but i think their is a whopper being told here,

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I believe it. I was unloading a car off of my 18' car hauler in my drive way which has a slight incline. It picked up the back of my Jeep and it started to roll until i got the car all the way off the trailer then stopped. It's freaky!

·
Banned
246 Posts
I was unloading a car off of my 18' car hauler in my drive way which has a slight incline. It picked up the back of my Jeep and it started to roll until i got the car all the way off the trailer then stopped. It's freaky!
Talk about using a popcan to pull a semi,,,, a Jeep :rolleyes: Puling a 18ft trailer :rolleyes: Then loading a car with the weight of 2,100 Lbs and up :rolleyes: Not very bright are you?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C&KLawnCare said:
You picked up the ass end of that truck, with it being hooked to a 14 foot tandam axle trailer, :dizzy: Something about this story makes no sence at all . I know its a short bed but still i have never seen a 14ftr be a single axle , Plus the truck is sitting on a hill and it has 4wd . kick that baby in 4wd next time and leave it in gear or park wich ever, I never unload sitting on a hill or much of one and if i do i always chalk the trailer tire's , I dunno but i think their is a whopper being told here,
It didn't pick the axle OFF the ground, just took enough weight off it to let it start sliding. It IS a 14 footer with a single axle. And lastly, it's an automatic not a standard. Normally there would n't be any need to use 4 wheel drive and anyway, I don't know that it would have made any difference since it's an automatic. As far as me telling whoppers are concerned, I am not in the habit of lying, bullshifting or telling tall tales. I have better things to do. :p

·
Banned
246 Posts
it's an automatic not a standard. Normally there would n't be any need to use 4 wheel drive and anyway, I don't know that it would have made any difference since it's an automatic. As far as me telling whoppers are concerned, I am
Well by placing it in 4wd while in Park or In gear that leaves the front end locked in gear - meaning no roll since the front end is locked,

Single axle 14 footer , Oh i bet thats one overloaded , swaying in the wind *()&*()& to pull along . Trailer that long id prefeer a tandam axle .

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C&KLawnCare said:
Well by placing it in 4wd while in Park or In gear that leaves the front end locked in gear - meaning no roll since the front end is locked,

Single axle 14 footer , Oh i bet thats one overloaded , swaying in the wind *()&*()& to pull along . Trailer that long id prefeer a tandam axle .
Actually, it's never overloaded and it doesn't sway. I've hauled 2 Quads a few hundred miles plus gear and never a problem. As far as the 4 wheel drive, I'll have to try that trick though I think I'll just park it a little different next time. But I suppose it's always something to consider.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
C&KLawnCare said:
Talk about using a popcan to pull a semi,,,, a Jeep :rolleyes: Puling a 18ft trailer :rolleyes: Then loading a car with the weight of 2,100 Lbs and up :rolleyes: Not very bright are you?
Ummm...it's rated to tow up to 7500 lbs with a weight distributing hitch and up to a 32' trailer. I am not even close to being over length or over weight. What's not so bright about that? I pull my 29' Fountain boat as well, no problems.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
I've done the same thing A LOT. I've done it in both directions and this used to be a regular every other day thing. Never gave it a whole lot of thought until I started putting the 60" on the 6x10. I used to just back off real fast when it started to slip. But that's a lot harder to do with the 60"....

The best thing to do is to chock the front tires on the truck. But this is still not really a sure fire answer. What you really need to do is take the trailer to a fabricator and have him weld some "dawgs" on your trailer gate. You know, the things you see on heavy equipment trailers? They don't put them there for nothing! They stabilize the tail of the trailer and prevent the leverage jacking.

·
Banned
246 Posts
Ummm...it's rated to tow up to 7500 lbs with a weight distributing hitch and up to a 32' trailer. I am not even close to being over length or over weight. What's not so bright about that? I pull my 29' Fountain boat as well, no problems.
What's not so bright about that?
Answer to that is Jeep sticking that kinda nonsence rating on a vechile that dont weigh nor is longer than alot of farm tractor's . Just because they say it can handle up to a 32 foot trailer sure as hell dont mean id try it , You could have a out of control situation right quick with the weight you could pile on a 32 foot trailer, Just because my speedo in my truck clock's to 95 sure as heck dont mean im going to do it, They stick those dangerous ratings on smaller vechicles to sell, I think its dangerous i see way to many wayyyyyy to big trailers being pulled by a yugo so to speak .

Any way back to orignal poster yea im glad your here to type the story to us and alowed me to rib ya some , Dont think i was trying to be mean just picking on ya some ,

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It's just as long if not longer than a regular cab truck! My Jeep weighs 4300 lbs. That's MORE than a regular cab truck. *insert foot in mouth*

·
Banned
246 Posts
It's just as long if not longer than a regular cab truck! My Jeep weighs 4300 lbs. That's MORE than a regular cab truck. *insert foot in mouth
That scale slip weight or whats on the registration card , Could be a world of diffrence . Regular cab pickup ehhh , well My Old 88 Gmc Lt weighed 5,250 Lbs , The Ford Lt weighs 4,700 Lbs , So noo their is a hell of alot of Regular cab pickups out their that would out weigh that jeep , Dodges with the cummins Diesel is one that would out weigh it ,

as below

FORD F-150
2004-05 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 2004 Ford F-150 XL (2wd SuperCab)
Class: Large pickup truck
Weight: 5,185 lbs.

DODGE RAM 1500
2002-05 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (2wd Quad Cab)
Weight: 4,969 lbs.

CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500
GMC SIERRA 1500
1999-2005 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 1500 (2wd extended cab)
Weight: 4,709 lbs.

JEEP CHEROKEE
1997-2001 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Class: Small SUV
Weight: 3,479 lbs.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
1999-2004 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Class: Midsize SUV
Weight: 3,968 lbs.

JEEP LIBERTY
2002-05 models

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle tested: 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport
Class: Midsize SUV
Average weight of 2 vehicles tested: 4,100 lbs.

What was that about a jeep out weighing pickup trucks LMAO I had to check but i thought i needed hip waders

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. but it was a 16 ft tandem trailer and a 7000 lb excavator.. It picked up the back of my chevy 2500-Hd and the truck tips the scales at 7200 lbs. will never try to load it again on a hill. Spun around and stuck the bucket in the ground to stop it.
Pete

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Simmiler to a day I came home last fall. Went in to grab a cold one before mowing my own lawn. I don't take the trailer off except for the week ends. well it was thursday and my 4 year old that always helps me chalk and roll the trailer up, did just that while I was inside. went out and droped the gate, not noticing the bright orange chalks under the tire.

Any ways to make a long story short I took the walk behind and my self off the trailer and a little over half way the tounge shot up and into the tailgate of my truck and then up and on top of the tailgate. Any ways was lucky that the scrap yard had the exact model truck with paint for 200 bucks. lesson learned now, my now 5 year old makes sure that I am there to undo the trailer.
by the way my neighbor about had a heart attack laughing so hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.